Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the clutch off my 1995 xcr 600 because i wanted to rebuild it, i noticed my clutch was in really bad condition, i had to drill out and put a bigger bolt on the cover, so my buddy told me he had a clutch from a polaris 250 STAR he can give me, it seems to fit well on my crank but will it be strong enough? and work just as well if i put the weights and spring from my old one??

·
Registered
777 Posts
im, not positive here,but if it dosn,t look the same as a 85 it,s a p-90, and i don,t believe you can set it up to handle the hp of your sled

·
Registered
711 Posts
I do not think that the star clutch will work. If i rember corectly The rollers and spyder in a tripple cylinder clutch are much bigger and heavier. I would highly recomend you find the right clutch for your sled.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
the rollers are fine, it don't matter if it's wide or not. I got a wide roller spider in my clutch right now, cause I broke my original spider with an air hammer (don't ask).

You will definitly need to change weights and springs, but if it fits correctly on the crankshaft taper, it will work fine. You will also need to shim it for engagement, and shim your seccondary for belt alignment.

Just compare the taper from the old to the new crankshaft the clutch will be going on. If they are different, it ain't gonna work.

-Dean

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the whole clutch is exactly the same except for the weights and the spring, i have 10 MW weights on my old clutch but the one from the Star says C on the weights?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I would swap out the weights and springs if thats all that is different. I think that comet weights can fit into the p-85 clutch but i'm not 100%. if this is true, you may have comet weights in there. But to be on the safe side, i'd just swap out the springs and weights for now and see how it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts