Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 95 XCR 440 with the top end not there. I put a rag over the lower end and sprayed a little wd 40 in the lower end. I then put a cover over the sled and it is currently sitting outside. My question is how long would you let it sit outside, or should I not even have it outside?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Shouldn't have left the top end off in the first place, not for very long at least. Doesn't take long for rust to set in, although the WD-40 will help quite a bit.

As far as leaving it outside, leave it outside for the least amount of time as possible.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, it shouldn't hurt it to much.

How long do you plan on leaving the top end off?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really have a planned time, I was just wondering if some would highly recommend not leaving it outside for some reason I don't know.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Well, I wouldn't not with the top end off of it. I would have probably pulled the motor and sit the chassis outside, that's a much better way to go.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I would not leave it outside at all. Many things can happen. Mice may find it to be a nice home. Moisture will still find it's way to the parts you didn't get with the wd. If anything pull the engine and take it inside.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
XCR and 650, your both right, I will be pulling the motor today.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

EDIT
Now that the sled has been outside for a few weeks. What do you suggest I do to make sure that there has not been damage done to the lower end?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Like they said, pull the engine. It will be way easier to put back together with the engine out because it be near imposible to torque the cylinders down right when its in.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Spray the hell out of it with fogging oil?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If you plan on tearing it down completely - you could always fill the cases up with Antifreeze. The theory is that the rust inhibitors don't let it oxidize. And obviously it won't freeze. A lot of the vintage guys do that.

But your best bet is to pull the engine out and put it somewhere warm and dry.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
get some cheap 2 cycle oil and generously pour it down the cylinders (ex into the crankcase and over all the bearings you can get to. Other that that, I wouldnt worry about it. I personally would never fill it up with antifreeze!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]If you plan on tearing it down completely - you could always fill the cases up with Antifreeze. The theory is that the rust inhibitors don't let it oxidize. And obviously it won't freeze. A lot of the vintage guys do that.

But your best bet is to pull the engine out and put it somewhere warm and dry.

Bryan
Dont put antifreeze in there! Geez, pour some of whatever oil you run in the bearing holes located in the top of the upper case, also pour some on the rod bearings and rotate the rods/crank some to spread it around. Then Cover it and put it in a dry and clean place. Dont be afraid of putting too much in. It takes a lot to cause any problem during startup. It will just smoke a lot! Fog oil works good too. You want plenty of lube for start up anyways. Wipe all the top end with oil when you put it together too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts