Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?]I picked up some heavy fiberglass tape 2" wide (no adhesive) and was wondering if anyone had any Ideas on how to keep it in place on the tapered portions of the pipes. I am using stainless clamps on the ends but keeping it in place on the tapered sections is proving to be a pain in the A$$. It was only $41 for the insul tape (I'm to cheap to get them ceramic coated cost was like $225-$300) for Triple pipes

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
lol id say duct tape but it doesnt like heat... my buddy owns a sled shop and the ceramic coating is well worth it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
this is just a idea,how about the aluminum duct tape,sticky stuff,over the insulation and uses clamps at both ends,
Double insulated,protects the fiberglass,also the insulation won,t get wet over and over and rot,

Come to think of it.I may just try this myself.
don,t see why it wouldn,t work,would also be a cleaner finish
EDIT: may not fit well with a clam shell

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
my mach z tripple pipes are wrapped. and only clamped at the begining and end of each tape. seems to work with no problems. are u overlaping alittle as u go. thats how mine is.[8D]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I lapped it, I ended up using more clamps than I thought I should and only wrapped to the end of the big chamber. I should help keep the heat in somewhat. Thanks for input. The aluminum tape Idea isn't a bad either, If I have problems with the wrap staying on I may give this a try.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used the foil tape 2 years ago and its still working great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts