Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of triple pipes for a carbed 650 preferably Aaen as I heard these were the best trail pipe's for the old trips. I'll even take stock if ya got them.

Thanks for any help guys. [:)]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Moparfever4ever said:
I'm looking for a set of triple pipes for a carbed 650 preferably Aaen as I heard these were the best trail pipe's for the old trips. I'll even take stock if ya got them.

i have the triples off of my 1995 polaris xlt 600 special. used before me and taken off before i bought it. sled needs a new motor so they are no good to me, and i have a newer sled. let me know

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
polarisman10 said:
Moparfever4ever said:

i have the triples off of my 1995 polaris xlt 600 special. used before me and taken off before i bought it. sled needs a new motor so they are no good to me, and i have a newer sled. let me know
These will not work on a 650

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just my two cents...If you're going to trail ride an Indy 650 and expect the engine to last I'd stay away from triple pipes. Very few sets were engineered for anything other than racing. Most triple pipe setups will also require you to spin the engine at a higher speed and have some port work done to realize any significant gain in power. My uncle and I used to drag race an Indy 650. Cylinders were pretty radically ported and it had PSI blaster pipes on it. Engine made approx 140 hp at 10000 rpms. If you tried to run it at 9900 rpms it would fall on it's face. It was also very picky with jetting. Pretty much useless for anything other than wide open for 660' at a time.
That said, when everything was right, it was a damn rocket. It ran on B33 Phillips racing fuel and Klotz oil...the exhaust smelled awesome and there's arguably nothing that sounds as good as a Polaris 650 triple at 10000 rpms! What a ride!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
2manyhobbys said:
Just my two cents...If you're going to trail ride an Indy 650 and expect the engine to last I'd stay away from triple pipes. Very few sets were engineered for anything other than racing. Most triple pipe setups will also require you to spin the engine at a higher speed and have some port work done to realize any significant gain in power. My uncle and I used to drag race an Indy 650. Cylinders were pretty radically ported and it had PSI blaster pipes on it. Engine made approx 140 hp at 10000 rpms. If you tried to run it at 9900 rpms it would fall on it's face. It was also very picky with jetting. Pretty much useless for anything other than wide open for 660' at a time.
That said, when everything was right, it was a damn rocket. It ran on B33 Phillips racing fuel and Klotz oil...the exhaust smelled awesome and there's arguably nothing that sounds as good as a Polaris 650 triple at 10000 rpms! What a ride!

You are so wrong! 650 with pipes are easily trailable. SLP's run at 9100, Aaen's at 9400 and PSI trail blasters at 8800 rpms. Pipe it, clutch it and jet it correctly and you will have a blast on the trails from corner to corner and very reliable. And most of all dont listen to this guy because he has no idea what he is talking about, just another one of those guys that heard it from his cousins brothers uncle and has no real experience with these sleds.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I like my deckers, the only thing that makes triple pipes not trailable is the noise, I repacked my stingers, but they are still very loud.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will pipes from a 680 ultra work for a 650?

I don't have to worry about noize laws in ND... So what pipe was the best performing, loudest, cleanest of the 5.

Decker, Aaen, SLP, PSI, DG.

I seen some of the early DG and SLP pipes and they were an ugly fit. I've never seen deckers but I've seen Aaen and they look real nice but I think they were the sectioned ones that look like they were piced together instead of a stamped. Deckers are the best performing and then it was Aaen then psi is what I've read and herd. I figured if the were all pretty close to the same hp +/- 5hp then I'm more concernd with sound and fit.

I REALLY like how my SLP stingers sound look and perform on my 95 XCR 580. I think they were good for 20-23hp @ 9,200rpm on the monos. The SLP's that I've seen for 650's look like crap and dump into a can instead of stingers. And they looked goofy kind of like the stock xcr 597 pipes/can. Anyone got some pics or sound clips to hear or compare some of the pipes mentioned above?

Here's a pic of my slp's as a memory refreshment. It seems none of the pipe manufactures back then could get them to fit this clean.

2010111144550355_23385.jpg

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
No, you need pipes made for the motor. I had a 91 Indy 650 with Aaen pipes that was a blast to ride. Very strong sled. Not bad to clutch and to get the mast you need to keep the jetting close. No problems with reliability. Pipes were on the sled from day 1. I believe that all pipes from that era had glasspack style silencers. These are frowned upon today because of the noise. The Aaens fit well but they exit in 2 different locations. Two in the stock outlet,and one in front of it. No big deal, but something to consider.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
How much are you willing to spend? I have 5 sets of 650 pipes but really dont want to sell them, but might for the right price.

The SLP the OP is talking about sound like the early version and I do agree they have an ugly fit, the version I have which I believe are a newer version fit much better and just look better, they also have the glass pack style silencers. In my opinion these look and fit the best, they exit through a single hole in the belly pan. These are the only 650 pipes I have ran and prefer them to any others.

Decker...125.8 HP @ 9200 RPM
SLP......123.0 HP @ 9100 RPM
Aaen.....123.1 HP @ 9400 RPM
PSI......120.3 HP @ 8800 RPM
DG.......116.3 HP @ 9200 RPM

Here is a picture of the SLP's I have.

SLP's in a GenII chassis
2008129173557991_3462.jpg

2008129173532272_3462.jpg

SLP's in a Wedge chassis
57807.jpg

Aaen's in a Wedge chassis (not my sled)
2007122721114691_3462.jpg

My SLP's, they are going to be a little louder because it had a light weight hood with no foam, so you can here the pipe ping more in than a normal sled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-kkuFlHWaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qlZf-L8bZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CzgFA_ud0Q

Attachments

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Keeps the cylinders in line with each other and prevents twisting.

the_hog said:
Hog, did you dyno these yourself? When I bought my Aaens new I was told to clutch to 91-9200.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
No I didnt dyno those myself, that is a list I got from a much respected member on here triple650indy.

Here are some Dynotech numbers, 91 Indy 650 "02 motor", trail mod porting, 13.5-1 compression ratio, 92 octane gas, 39.2mm carbs

SLP 139hp at 9000rpm
PSI LakeBlasters 132.6 at 9500rpm
Aaen 137.2 at 9250rpm
Deckers 138.6 at 9000rpm
DG 132.6 at 9000rpm

Keep in mind this is on a ported motor with cut heads and bored carbs. I can post a comparison on a stock motor as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the_hog said:
How much are you willing to spend? I have 5 sets of 650 pipes but really dont want to sell them, but might for the right price.

The SLP the OP is talking about sound like the early version and I do agree they have an ugly fit, the version I have which I believe are a newer version fit much better and just look better, they also have the glass pack style silencers. In my opinion these look and fit the best, they exit through a single hole in the belly pan. These are the only 650 pipes I have ran and prefer them to any others.

I would be interested in the SLP's. Are the SLP's you have dented? Got a pic of the Deckers/Aaens? What pipe was the best for low-mid? What brad was the hardes to tune? What brand is the loudest?

I'd like to see the stock numbers too if you got them handy

Pm me about prices...

Thanks, Dustin

the_hog said:
gto0209 said:
what exactly does the plate bolting the heads together do?

Prevents cylinder walk.
Whats better, a base plate or head plate? I have an Aaen base plate. Will this help prevent twisting the crank?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
the_hog said:
You are so wrong! --snip-- And most of all dont listen to this guy because he has no idea what he is talking about, just another one of those guys that heard it from his cousins brothers uncle and has no real experience with these sleds.
You have such a smooth way of putting things. I'm surprised that you're not a politician.. [thumb]

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am very pleased with the fit and finish of my deckers, they are a pain to install, but fit really nice once they are in, and do not rub on each other, or anything under the hood.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
the_hog said:
You are so wrong! --snip-- And most of all dont listen to this guy because he has no idea what he is talking about, just another one of those guys that heard it from his cousins brothers uncle and has no real experience with these sleds.
You have such a smooth way of putting things. I'm surprised that you're not a politician.. [thumb]
What can I say, I tell it how it is. I really should be a politician.

Moparfever4ever said:
I would be interested in the SLP's. Are the SLP's you have dented? Got a pic of the Deckers/Aaens? What pipe was the best for low-mid? What brad was the hardes to tune? What brand is the loudest?

I'd like to see the stock numbers too if you got them handy

Pm me about prices...

Thanks, Dustin

Whats better, a base plate or head plate? I have an Aaen base plate. Will this help prevent twisting the crank?
All SLP's of that style are dented, they came that way from SLP to clear the hood vents. I posted a picture of Aaens in the post with pictures, the picture with the RXL with pink heads are Aaens. I have 3 sets of new SLP's, 1 set of old SLP's and 1 set of Deckers. I will PM you prices but they are going to be ridiculous cause I do not want to sell but would for the right price. On the dyno sheets they all seem to be fairly similar in the low to mid, I have no idea what ones are the easiest to tune or are the loudest. Head and base plate both serve a purpose, I couldnt tell you if one is better than the other.

1992 Stock Indy 650

Decker 127.2HP 9250rpm
SLP 120.8HP 9250rpm
PSI Trai Blasters 122.7HP 9000RPM

1991 Stock Indy 650

SLP 117.2HP 9000RPM
Decker 125.0HP 9250RPM
PSI Trail Blaster 122.5HP 9000RPM
Aaen 116.8HP 9250RPM
DG 110.4 9000RPM

·
Registered
54 Posts
do you know if you can unpack the glass pack in decker pipes and what performance changes it would have. used to have aaen pipes on an indy 650 i crashed and my new one has deckers, I like the sound of the aaen pipes better they were louder too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts