Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting back into sledding after a 15 year absence, I picked up a 1990 Safari L a couple weeks ago. Looking for the "clear" plastic fuel gauge to fit the side of the tank on a 1990 Safari L. If you've got one, know a good place to look, or know a good hack to fix one, please let me know. The "knub" on the top fitting of mine is broken off and leaks gas all over if I put more than half a tank in. The black rubber flange it fits is also bad, so need that too.

Also looking for the rubber ski boot and bottom snubber thing that sit in the ski at the mount.

Been looking on E-Bay since I got the sled, but nothing ha s popped up. Any other good sources for parts on these older sleds?

NOS parts would be cool, but obviously good used will do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well...field engineered a fix for the gauge. 4 hours so far, no leak. Pipe Thread fittings and PTFE tape. We'll have to see how it holds up.
Safari Fuel Gauge.jpg

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I was thinking plug those holes in the tank and measure up for a cap/gauge combo but nice job. Hopefully it works out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far so good, riding around the neighborhood waiting for the trails to open. Now to fix the left front suspension. Lower "ball joint" thing seems shot. The lower arm on the left side just slides up and down the ski leg. The right side doesn't seem to do this so I'm thinking that's bad. Exploded diagrams show a "race" that fits around the ski leg inside the a-arm fitting. I wonder if those are available somewhere and if one can even be replaced or if I need to find a scrapper replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, found some replacements via e-bay, Thank you northern power.
IMG_0389.JPG

Where does one effectively drill holes in these to install grease fittings? New one pictured with boot pulled up. some grease in there, but definitely going to need more to keep these alive.

PS: still no leaks from the new gas gauge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you put the fittings in the tank,did you thread the tank ? I have the same problem,and could not find one.by the way you can find the sprockets for $26.99 at denniskirk.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did NOT pre-thread the tank. The Brass fittings are pipe thread, which is a tapered thread and they cut their own threads in the plastic tank quite easily. I thread them in and then back out then I used 5 wraps of the gas safe pipe tape looking to seal the threads. Probably could redo this with RTV gasket maker to make them more secure. However, I have since put over 100 miles on the sled in rather bumpy conditions and no leaks so far.

Note that when you thread them in your fitting will go all the way to the elbow, which made it hard to put the nut on the compression side of the fitting. I prefit the bottom one with the tube before screwing it in. Then threaded in the top fitting and attached the tube. Just used clear fuel line to connect them. If you don't care about the tube gauge, you can just get the same size brass plugs and thread them in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update - swapped out the front suspension assemblies. MUCH more pleasant to ride without the excitement of left side random collapse (rather disconcerting!)

To lube the replacement ones, ended up just buttering grease into the ball joints with a brush and working them around before installing. Then pushing more in after install. Hopefully with a buttering treatment a few times a season these will hold up longer term. Seems to handle pretty well, but not a really durable (or repairable) design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts