Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 700 RMK this year and have been rebuilding it over the summer, and now that its getting down to show time i am goin through everything and making sure its ready to go, and the primary has the wrong spring and weights for my riding so i want to switch them and do a full cleaning so i am looking for a clutch puller, havnt found one i know is correct for under 70 bucks so wondering if you guys have an extra one laying around your shop to sell

also what do you recomend using to clean the clutches, just warm soapy water? also i have heard of cleaning a new belt to any truth to this?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Warm soapy water is good, but if you run into some strong belt dust/grime that has a death grip on the aluminum then brake clean is what I use along with a old tooth brush to get at the hard to reach spots, and I prefer the non-chlorinated stuff as the chlorinated brake clean will make you dizzy and fall over on the shop floor...lol, then after you have it **** and span give it a good dry cleaning with compressed air, that also help blow dust,crud and junk out of the hard to reach places also, hot soap and water bath for new belts also and then let air dry over night,I also saw you shopping a Almond round spring over on HCS, that's a good spring for your sleds application, that along with some 62 gram weights should get your peak RPM's right where you need them as long as your not riding over 3000ft elevation, I have a find for you that might you be interested in but I will send you a PM about it so that someone else doesn't snipe you out on it if your interested, I am starting to get pumped about working on the sleds in my garage but I don't plan on getting started until Thanksgiving weekend, yeah I know some are gonna say why are you waiting so long, well my work schedule dictates what I can do and I'm going fire arm Deer hunting here in Mi next week, the biggest thing I'm working on right now is to pay off the new to me sled that I am buying, I'm halfway there and once I come up with the other $500 bucks I will have a 97 700 SKS for trail riding this season, my 98 XC is still in disassemble sitting in the garage but I will also have it ready for the ice once January rolls around, let me know if you need any other info on your clutches and I'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Once you get the clutches off, get some 400 grit sand paper and lightly sand the sheaves in the clutches, this gets all the wax and fused on rubber off, which reduces belt slip.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i got the 62's in the mail today, what would you recomend for 5000-8000, it came with a blue and 58's

also besides marking where they come apart is there anything else to watch in these clutchs when taking apart, i have done a couple cat clutchs but this is my first poo clutch

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The 58's might be the ticket for 5-8000, or even 56's, someone in the know is gonna have to confirm that though as I am a Michigan flat lander and our highest elevation here is a bit under 2000ft, so that is pretty much where my clutching and jetting experience is at, but again your gonna have to test the setup that you put in to verify exactly where your peak RPM's run out at,shoot for 8-8100, by adjusting the secondary spring up or down a hole it is usually worth about 50-100 RPM's either way but the proper way to achieve it is by tuning the primary with more or less weight,that almond round spring has a 140/330 rate so it should do a good job of keeping the RPM's up at WOT with that big 330 finish rate.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
This is the puller you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-snowmobile-clutch-puller-Twin-models-97-99-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad6b1d59fQQitemZ390149035423QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Polaris used a different clutch puller for the first years of the Liberty motors. used for all 1997 - 1999 Liberty twins except 1999 edge XCR 440 SP

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
This is the puller you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-snowmobile-clutch-puller-Twin-models-97-99-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad6b1d59fQQitemZ390149035423QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Polaris used a different clutch puller for the first years of the Liberty motors. used for all 1997 - 1999 Liberty twins except 1999 edge XCR 440 SP
LOL, I sent him one from EBAY in a PM, basically worked out to the same price as the one you posted, it had free shipping and is in the same state that he lives in, $45 shipped is probably the best deal your gonna get, unless you find a used one from somebody for cheaper that doesn't need it anymore.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang i am just to slow just posted a topic about a guy that i found one with for 45, he is from your neck of the woods, ill probably just go with the ebay one then i am covered just in case, thanks guys

i should chekc back more often before posting

·
Registered
841 Posts
98700xc said:
The 58's might be the ticket for 5-8000, or even 56's, someone in the know is gonna have to confirm that
I do a lot of riding around the 5000-7500' range. Primary has a Polaris blue spring with 58g weights, which keeps my rpm's at 7900.
Around home the elevation is 3000'. The rpm's go up 1 or 200, but it's not worth the trouble to change them out. At home all we do is fool around on the trails and the odd meadow, nothing serious. So I'm not too worried about the rpm.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dutchman said:
98700xc said:
The 58's might be the ticket for 5-8000, or even 56's, someone in the know is gonna have to confirm that
I do a lot of riding around the 5000-7500' range. Primary has a Polaris blue spring with 58g weights, which keeps my rpm's at 7900.
Around home the elevation is 3000'. The rpm's go up 1 or 200, but it's not worth the trouble to change them out. At home all we do is fool around on the trails and the odd meadow, nothing serious. So I'm not too worried about the rpm.
Thanks, just the confirmation i was looking for, someone who has used it

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok after more inspection i decided to replace the buttons as long as i am doing everything else, how do you get them out, just grab them with a pliers and turn them out?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
dodgetruck2 said:
Ok after more inspection i decided to replace the buttons as long as i am doing everything else, how do you get them out, just grab them with a pliers and turn them out?
If your talking about the secondary buttons yeah you can try to grab them with pliers to pull them out, if they are worn to the point where you can't grab them what I do is drill a small pilot hole in them and run a drywall screw into the hole and then grab the screw with some vise grips and pull them out.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are they threaded or just pop in, i am gona wait till i get the new ones picked up just in case they are out of stock which seems to be the norm anymore

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
New ones just pop in. I redid some buttons this summer, the old ones were pretty brittle so I had to chisel them out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts