Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot get the skid back in my 89 indy 650. I have taken it out and put it back n before, had to wrestle it a little bit but it went back in. Now, I have the front two bolts in, but the back two are about two inches behind the hole. Me and my buddy could get it about an inch away from the hole, but that was as far as it was going. I have read about collapsing the springs, but I pulled the end of the spring out of the perch behind the bogey wheel, but that did not help at all. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
i use a small flat shovel or metal bar to collapse the skid, then have someone lift and some one bolt while collapsed and it goes in ever time. once its bolted slide the bar/shovel out the back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
rathchet strap the front torque arm down then install the front bolt then the rear bolts you just need to tighten or loosen the ratchet strap until the rear holes line up

·
Registered
54 Posts
lift everything in the air and put a wood 6x6 under the front of the track and it will collapse the suspension enough to line up the holes...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I just use my big pry bar to collapse the skid a little. That gives me enough to line up the holes. Use the pry bar on the top of the rear torque arm and pull.
D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dman said:
I just use my big pry bar to collapse the skid a little. That gives me enough to line up the holes. Use the pry bar on the top of the rear torque arm and pull.
D
Cant remember if that susp.has the rear sissor stop if it does remove them.that will make it much easier to collapse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a ratcht strap every time I put my skid back in. It works great for me. Just wrap it over the coil spring and ratchet it tight. I always put the rear bolts in first then collaps the front spring then put the front bolts in.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i just did two this year and a ratchet strap and a cherry picker works best and a pry bar to move it after its adjusted correctly and you put the bolts in. its nice to have it up in the air when you do it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
just put two skids back in this weekend. i found it was easy to get a large log and put under the front track then lower the sleds down and the bolts line right up took about an hour to do 2 sleds wasnt bad at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did the ratchet strap on mine, worked great, I FOUGHT with it for about 20 minutes without, then remembered to use the strap. cranked it tight till the holes lined up, took 5 minutes, I also did this with the sled on it's side.

·
Registered
455 Posts
every sled ive done we just layed it on its side and it went in like butter. just get a metal bar so u can line the holes up and it helps to have someone help you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
loosening the track tension really helps too when installing the rear skid. makes a day and night difference

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just pull your srings out of there seats to relax them, the seats are the round plastic U shaped cup thats boltes to the rail that the spring sits in.

After you get the skid in and the front bolted up. Pull both srings back so they point to the rear idler wheels. With no spring tension you can move the rear swing arm up down front to back effortlessly.

This is a 40min solo job for me, but with cheery picker it makes it alot easier and safer. Also make sure your wheel tensioner's are all the way relaxed and your track is pulled back tight b4 you try to align the front. these steps are backwards but you already had the front in so I skipped that part.

Hope this helps. Happy ridding

·
Registered
718 Posts
the way i do it is put in the front suspension part, then put in the rear. take off the springs from the retainers then let the rear shock 'compress' you should have some slack, enough slack to put in the rear suspension. no tools needed. should take 15 mins max.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts