Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 polaris xc 440 i just bought. I was wondering what kind of performance parts might i put on this sled. The sled kicks in at 4500 rpm, so i am betting there is a clutch kit in it already. Also if i were to drop say a 580 or 600cc engine in it what would it take to do that? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,282 Posts
A clutch kit is highly recommended if it doesnt allready have one..It would take a little fabracation to get a new 500-800 twin to fit in it, but it can ealy be done..

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
No such thing as a 98xc440...97 xc440 or 98 xcr440??? Two totally different motors...

It takes some fabrication skills to make a 580 or 600 triple fit where a twin was but it can be done

·
Registered
546 Posts
that depends on your riding, do you run on lakes and rivers or areas where you have little traction or do you stick to trails or areas with plenty of snow

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think you could noticibly gain some performance with simple things like clutching and studding. Swapping motors is a bigger deal, and I wonder if it would really be worth it, or should you just look for a different sled? Sure it can be done, and theres plenty of riders that HAVE done it. But it's not like finding a different sled is impossible or anything.

I think I would explore all the "bolt-on" parts before worrying about swapping in a bigger displacement engine. There's pipes, suspension, etc. that you can rework and gain performance. When it's all said and done, what do ya have? A highly modded 440. If you NEED more displacement, get a 600, 800 or whatever sled, and go from there. I really think it would be easiest unless you have a free large-CC motor just sitting around or something.

I think you just have to choose your battle and go with it. Is there a wrong choice? Not in my opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ride on trails and roads mostly. I think i might put a pipe on it. In your opinion which pipe is better for my sled, that is at a reasonable price? I want a racy high pitched bark to it.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
That might be an easy answer, because i don't even think they make pipes for that 440 motor. Is it an XC or XCR? Many of the 440 size engines aren't worth doing big mods to because the bigger CC engines see much bigger improvements out of a similar modification. Plus, the 440 race sleds are already running at maximum limits.
I would stick with what was already said: clutching, gearing, traction, and keep up with maintenance. You'll still have a fast 440, but if your going to spend the big $$$ you might as well save it for a bigger CC sled.
I ride a tweaked 440 as my main sled, and i am happy with it's power. When the day comes that i need more, I'll just buy a 700 or something.
Just my opinion...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts