Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the summer is good for working on the sled. I have a 02 xc 500 and have been looking to do some performance enhancements. Biggest problem I have found is that there are not a lot of performance parts avaliable. Has anyone modified their 500 and gotten good results. If you did what was your modification. I am trying to descide if it is even worth modifing. I have considered reed, sliencer, ect.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
KHB,

I havent started the mods to my Wife's XC 500 yet, but the number one thing would be clutching. After that for me it's a toss up. I would at this point probably spend the money on a tempa flow to keep the carbs right all the time, however since i havent run my sled(XLT) yet with the tempa flow i am only speculating that it will do what it is supposed to do. The final piece for me would be a pipe/silencer. Reeds are good but they are expensive for the enhancement you will get IMO. These are my thoughts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. Yeah there is always that black magic of clutching. I know that the stock clutch has a lot of room for improvment. I keep reading up on clutch tuning. I guess I have to put some theory to use. Never been very good at tuning clutches, I guess I had better learn.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Clutching is the key to that sled, buddy of mine has the exact same sled...after he had our local dealer put his magic touch to it the sled ripped, he smoked alot of the other brands 600's....he also installed Tempa-Flow and a silencer, can't remember the brand though...good luck! Oh and the Darkstar the Tempa-Flow does what it advertises and alittle more, and even better one is there new ATACC..if you experience elevation changes.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
KHB,

If you dont feel like experimenting here is a place that seems to get lots of praise for their clutch kits. I just put one of their trail kits in my XLT sp. There are others out there this just happens to be the one i decided on... I love my wifes XC so next year I will be doing the clutch kit... Alaskangold just convinced me of that and i am not going to tell her cuz she already told me to leave it stock... RIGHT. What she cant "see" wont hurt her.

www.erlandsonperformance.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been up north for a few days relaxing some. Thanks for the info Alaskangold and Darkstar. I checked out that site you sent me Darkstar. Sounds good so far. I will do some additional checking on clutches and check with some local shops. After all I have to take the clutch apart for preventive maintance anyways so I might as well make it better. I guess that I will now have to stud the thing so I can get 100% of the power to the ground.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
One suggestion is if you can afford it do the perf mods before you do the clutching. Or you will need to work on the clutches again to take maximum advantage of the mods.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Give a heads up on what you decide to do, cuz if you don't do anything major for performance mods I might beable to find out what setup he's running.... If you do it yourself it's like maybe a hundred dollars in parts, just a thought.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2000 XC 500. I just got off the phone with aaen performance. They are developing a pipe and will have it available by next month[:D]. I'm also going to clutch it with an EPI "Pro Performance Kit" and put 144 studs on the rascal. Watch out 600s here i come.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts