Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i should have my xc running (hopefully) within the next week or two. Ive been doing some research on piston wash and mine is showing im lean. the stock main jets are 185s so should i go up to 188's or 190's? also should i bump up my pilot jet a size? my plugs are a little on the light brown side before i seized the pto side piston. let me know what you guys think. also where is the e clip and how do you lower it? i hear to lower it for more fuel...

new piston on right, old recoil side piston on left

201116152555375_29956.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
If all things are correct the stock 185 jetting should be good down to at least -10 degrees, you need to make sure where your problem came from first, what does the skirt of the damaged piston look like???

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i myself think its lack of oil, but my question is why would the pto side lock up and not the recoil sense the oil mixes in the fuel pump?

its scared up on the other side too and is not melted on the top..let me know what you think

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Vamped400 said:
i myself think its lack of oil, but my question is why would the pto side lock up and not the recoil sense the oil mixes in the fuel pump?

its scared up on the other side too and is not melted on the top..let me know what you think
Its too hard for me to pin point, if it were a cold-seizure it normally scuffs on all four corner, that piston looks awful, but I've had a few of them in my day, nothing in recent years though.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Make sure there are no coolant leaks into the cylinder. By the looks of that, some thing washed the oil away. If you are lean the exhaust side crown would start the burn away.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i drained all my gas and im putting in new gaskets. i also checked the head for cracks and couldnt find any. hopefully this will solve the problem if there was one with the water or coolant

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Here is how I set-up mine for the trails. 195lb. rider, 900'-1000' elevation good for -10* F

#38 pilot jets

6.0 slides (stock XC 7)
(The factory replaced the original 6.5 slides and #45 pilots with 5.5 slides and #38 pilots. I found the 5.5 took too much of the responsiveness away and that the 6.0 slides worked best for me.)

178 mains (for long WOT runs use 182s)

1.5 turns on the air screws
I adjusted these daily with temp changes as the Keihin carbs are very finicky. As little as 1/8 turn makes a big difference.

SLP plastic boost bottle

SLP Power Packs in the carbs (helps low end throttle response)

V-Force reeds (a good improvement on most Polaris big block twin)

Polaris almond/gold primary spring
Polaris 10-60 weights
Polaris R12 helix
HSP orange secondary spring #2 hole

Stock 22/40 gears

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im going to leave the jetting as is for now till i get the sled running for a while and then ill check the wash. at first i thought it was that the oil pump stopped working, but now i think there was just water in the gas. The guy before me had a full tank and it sat over winter

·
Registered
525 Posts
tnmemr said:
Here is how I set-up mine for the trails. 195lb. rider, 900'-1000' elevation good for -10* F

#38 pilot jets

6.0 slides (stock XC 7)
(The factory replaced the original 6.5 slides and #45 pilots with 5.5 slides and #38 pilots. I found the 5.5 took too much of the responsiveness away and that the 6.0 slides worked best for me.)

178 mains (for long WOT runs use 182s)

1.5 turns on the air screws
I adjusted these daily with temp changes as the Keihin carbs are very finicky. As little as 1/8 turn makes a big difference.

SLP plastic boost bottle

SLP Power Packs in the carbs (helps low end throttle response)

V-Force reeds (a good improvement on most Polaris big block twin)

Polaris almond/gold primary spring
Polaris 10-60 weights
Polaris R12 helix
HSP orange secondary spring #2 hole

Stock 22/40 gears
how important are the boost bottles on the bb600's been hearing a lots about the advantages, and how much carb adjusting will be nec.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts