Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 polaris xc sp 600 only is running on one cylinder it can be running ond i pull the mag side wire off and it dont do anything different but when i pull the pto side it dies. checked compression and the pto side has 115 and the mag side only has 75 so i took the cylinder off and the piston looks good no scoring at all but i did notice the crank case was level with the crankshaft with gas. could it be a piston im stumped!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
You have a Carb. float valve that is stuck open and flooding that cylinder with gas. This has washed the oil out of that cylinder causing the low compression. Get the gas out of the crank case, replace the float valves on both carbs. if one stuck the other could be close to doing the same. Put a few drops of oil in the plug hole and pull over 8 - 10 times and recheck compression, it will probably be back up.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
nocash2fly said:
You have a Carb. float valve that is stuck open and flooding that cylinder with gas. This has washed the oil out of that cylinder causing the low compression. Get the gas out of the crank case, replace the float valves on both carbs. if one stuck the other could be close to doing the same. Put a few drops of oil in the plug hole and pull over 8 - 10 times and recheck compression, it will probably be back up.
Typically if this is happening you would smell the gas and should be able to see it leaking from somewhere. My Banshee did that one year, turn gas on, start bike, bike run good until topend, turn bike off and gas would be pissing out of the breather hoses out of the carbs and go right into the pipes and all over the floor. By all means check your carbs. Does the carb leak gas when the gas line is on and not running? If the float is open and gas is pouring in the cyclinder then you should pull the plugs out, pull the sled over a few times to get the extra gas out. I still dont see this giving you a bad reading on compression. Has your pilot ject been cleaned out? My wifes sled was doing the same thing this fall on one of her cylinders. Sounded like all three was firing until you pulled the plug to the one that wasnt firing and you could tell. So cleaned the carbs and it was the pilot jet plugged. Get the carbs cleaned and running correctly before going to the next step.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yep sounds like a stuck/bad needle/float. The float sticks open and allows gas to flow as if you were going WOT. Pull the carbs off and give them a good run through, replace the needle seat if you have to. Like most said already.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks alot guys i took the carbs to a shop and its always ran real rich for some reason and took more gas usually than my 800 and he claims some dumbass drilled out the pilot jet holes or something like that and that will explain why it runs so rich. i took the carbs off of my buddys 600 and put them on there and it runs good! hopefully it will stay running when i buy a different set of carbs fo it

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
You dont need to replace the whole carbs. Just replace the needle/seat and make sure your jets have not been drilled out.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Stock carbs are 38's Flat side rack style.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts