Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best way to get some horsepower in your 2002 edge xc 600 some what cheap? right now she has a 1 inch predator track and a slp air horn intake kit.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Start with clutching and if you still need more go with a 660 kit.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Last time I checked it was $2000 + shipping your engine.

·
Registered
430 Posts
$1300 plus shipping. Then if you want the complete package, VF3, bored carbs, SLP air box mod and clutching becomes $2000. Shop around for these added items and you can easily be under $2000. You can use the stock pipe with great results. Just a set pipes are close to $1000 before your done so $1300 for the 660 is not far off and you will have more consistent power and performance. Price above is from Carl's Cycle but there are many out there and most are a bit cheaper. Do not mix Big Bores kits just to save $$! Now will be hard to get anything done quickly because of the season.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thats alot of jack, by the time you pay for that, change clutch spring/weights, and secondary helix and spring you could have bought another sled

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Yes you could have...But a 660 will smoke an 800 every time.

·
Registered
430 Posts
For an 800 to be a 160 hp and reliable you will spend the same $$. Then you need to buy an 800. In the end it still will not have the fun factor as a 660, smooth power that you don't need to mess with. Also cheaper to run!

·
Registered
84 Posts
for same $ in each the 800 would pruduce more power.
More cubes is always better.

600 w kit would be fun though.

I have 600 Edge X and have it all torn apart right now. Bought it 2 weeks ago. Was comtimplating pipes but would cost me 1/2 what I paid for entire sled for pipes, clutch parts. Right now I have new Camoplast 1", 10" woody's for front, and 144 1.075 studs for track and will see how thats runs.

Also, my boy is sick today so I had to stay home from work so can get this finished today.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Noticed nobody mentioned the 685 kits? If you're going to go for it why not the 685 instead of the 660? http://www.carlscycle.com/custompage.asp?pg=performance03

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do both the 660 and the 685 kit include new crank with larger radius on connecting rod axis to increase the stroke or is just a bore mod? If so is there internal case mods that need to be done for clearance issues?

·
Registered
430 Posts
685 requires the cases for machining which is a total tear down. For Carl's 685, it requires race gas mix or a detuned version that will not make allot more power compared to the 660 if they will do that. Not worth the extra work and expensive unless your a racer. Both 660 and 685 are bore jobs. 727 or 726 (race motor) are new cylinders and a 798(?) is bore and stroked race motor. Crank will support allot in stock form.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
You are going with a 700 top end on the strong, overly built sb lower end.
The crank is not changed, they machine the case to accept the 700 cylinders.

The 660 is faster than an 800 and stronger in the long run.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Karl's site says the 685 runs on pump gas and gives you 1-2 lengths over the 660 kit by giving more bottom end... but still not worth it in your opinion? I don't know what the cost difference is? Can you explain how the tear down install is different between the kits?

·
Registered
430 Posts
700 cylinders (big block) are NOT interchangeable with the small block (440-600cc)! New cylinders are needed when going over 685cc.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by weantright
[br]700 cylinders (big block) are NOT interchangeable with the small block (440-600cc)! New cylinders are needed when going over 685cc.
I was thinking of something else, They use the 700 pistons not the cylinders.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts