Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old mans got a 1998 polaris xc 700 and he was running ngk sparkpugs in it and one day when he fired it up it started running on one cylinder. He got it to run on 2 and it went back to 1. he thought it was the cdi box. But he went and bought some eridium sparkplugs and it runs fine now, but as soon as u put the ngk's back in, it goes to 1 cylinder. I think its the cdi box not giving off enough spark, but when u put the eridium sparkplugs in it, it makes up for the loss of spark the cdi gives out. What do u all think?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
have u tried new ngk plugs. and it still does it on that same side. are u sure that side isnt fouling the spark plug out by to much gas.on that side. my suggestion is clean the carbs real good and inspect em. then retry. good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this happened last riding season and we cleaned carbs and check cylinders. Bought i dont know how many pairs of ngk's before we bought the eridium ones. eridium are the only ones that worked!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Doesn't polaris recommend champion plugs in that engine?

·
Registered
432 Posts
My manual lists both NGK and Champion numbers, so I would take that to mean either is OK.

NGK = BR9ES or Champion RN-2C, gapped to 0.7mm/.028".

Strange that switching them like you did has such an effect. I've never heard of anything like that. Not sure what else to tell ya.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Has anyone tried AC/DELCO plugs in their sleds, my buddy swares by them in his 600 touring I think I might try them in my old tx

·
Registered
363 Posts
You check the wires first? It could be one wire might have more resistance than the other and that might just be enough resistance to stop a plug from firing, umm, you have the Ducatti ignition on that, so make sure that the wires are firm into the CDI, my PTO side of the CDI backed out alittle one year and I had an intermitant miss fire. It could also be a bad plug, you try switching plugs from one side to another?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried switching plugs checked wires..etc but all fails until i put them eridium sparkpugs in and it runs like a million bucks. I tried champions and they absolutly suck! Ngk are the way to go! Oh i tired the ac/delco plugs in my old yamaha ss440 and they work fine no problems. *Brought the sled home tonight and gave it a run through all seems to be fine*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts