Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fired up the 800 this weekend after being in summer storage. It started up after 6 pulls. Rode it accross the lawn and it ran normally. Let it idle for a few minutes and then shut it down. The next day I try to start it and it felt like it was seized. Couldn't pull it over an inch. I was able to manually turn the engine by turning the primary over and over. Not seized I thought. Pulled the plugs and they were dripping with fuel. Pulled over the motor and you would have thought you were looking at old faithful. Gas just shot out of the plug holes. Pulled over and over til most of the ful seemed gone. Took the pipe off and probably 2/3 of a gallon of gas poured out of engine and some was in pipe as well. My question is what would cause gas to leak into the engine? Fuel pump or stuck float in carbs?? Thank you and sorry for the long post.

2000 XC 700 & 2002 XC 800

·
Registered
454 Posts
did you remember to shut off the fuel valve between the tank and motor?, had a indy trail that would flood like that if i didnt shut the petcock off. Just a idea.

·
Registered
632 Posts
SOunds like a bad needle and seat.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Im going to guess your needle seat, needle itself of the floats are sticking, allowing fuel to leak in. Same thing happened to my racing mower, little different, but same idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BrianLee said:
did you remember to shut off the fuel valve between the tank and motor?, had a indy trail that would flood like that if i didnt shut the petcock off. Just a idea.
I have never had to shut the fuel off although its probably a good habit that I should have been doing.

trailjunkie said:
SOunds like a bad needle and seat.

Its weird that it ran fine when I ran it accross the lawn. It must have sucked some sediment and when I shut it down the floats stayed open. I haven't had a chance to fix it yet but my plan is to replace\rebuild fuel pump and clean carbs.

johnwally said:
To leak that much fuel I would almost think it was your fuel pump. Has the sled backfired bad at all?

It ran like a champ. It never backfired or bogged down at all. I do wonder how I will verify if there is any fuel in the crank case. Is there a drain plug on this model?

Dragon700 said:
Im going to guess your needle seat, needle itself of the floats are sticking, allowing fuel to leak in. Same thing happened to my racing mower, little different, but same idea.
This seems to be the concensus. I would never have though that all that gas would leaked just over night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts