Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took the top end off my sled to freshen it up, and i noticed there is an 1/8" gap on the side of the rod. (pto side) While the other rod is snug and has no side to side play. Is this normal? Something to worry about?

201011816356390_28157.jpg

2010118163443531_28157.jpg

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The connecting rod is blue, thats bad. That means the bearing is going, and that spot is getting VERY hot. Move the rod back and forth and feel for any slips, bumps, or jumps. I think its time for the crank to be split and new bearings.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
its an 800 twin, i would take it in and have it checked since you are here, and probably put a big boy bearing in.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
That's really weird... It looks like the gap is different in the crank itself..

I'd definitely have that crank looked at.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the blueing or shiney spot looks like someone balanced the rod? it dont look like blueing from engine heat.

it looks like the bottom picture one of the wheels is moving on the crank pin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The blue is from an led light i used to take the pic...the color of the rod is normal... Haha. I just dont get why there would be a space there. Does polaris factor in some movement because its on the pto end and it could move when it loads up? Im stumped. The motor ran ran when i tore it down, it just had weak compression on one cylinder.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My 650 did that after i put pipes on it. The crank started to pull itself apart, looked just like that. not good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts