Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me if this will fit my clutch for my 99 xc 700 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-P-85-SNOWMOBILE-72-02-XC-XCR-RMK-CLUTCH-PULLER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ270510289065QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and would heat hurt the clutch if need to be used to get it off

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
dont use heat, yes you can easily melt the bushings. if you need heat then you need a better quality puller and instructions on how to use it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well someone took it off for me before and used heat so i could rebuild the motor and now it seems like the primary clutch sticks shut now so idk if they messed it up..i dont really remember doing it before but i didnt ride it much before i rebuilt it so

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
^x2. If you feel like you're going to snap the puller when your turning it, you're doing it right.
Don't believe that fits "1972-2002 all P85 clutches" BS... my 99 XC5 needs a special puller, the puller for the 1998 and earlier Fujis doesn't work, and the puller for the 2000+ liberty's and Edges doesn't work.
This thread reminds me I need to get the right puller for my sled, thanks

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
You need the one that fits your sled, I have the same problem, it only fits like 2 years of sleds, then they changed it. I went right to the dealer and got a polaris one. I was suggested to do so, and so far so good.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would have the heat messed it up though my dad said when they heated it they did it like 3 times and was cherry red...he said until they found the right one

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
polaris PN for the puller you need is 2871855. It's used on 1997-1999 Liberty twins, except the '99 xcr sp 440 edge

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
If something is warped in it, then yes, but if you can get it apart and the bushings slide nicely then you got lucky, that much heat on these is a NO NO! They are just aluminum, and the bushings are brass/bronze. You can carefully take the cover off and get the spring out, and put the cover on to see if everything moves smoothly, the bushings are replaceable, the clutch is also, but spendy!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Yes, if its sticking, see where its sticking, may just be dirty/gummed up. Be careful, not sure if you have changed the spring before, but that cover is spring loaded, so slowly take the bolts out and get the cover off. The harder part is putting it back on, easier with an extra set of hands.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
You can do that now, without the puller, I change my clutch springs with the clutch on the sled.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh ok i will dig into that later or tomorrow i just take the bolts out a be carful

now when i put the plate back on then do i move it by hand or just like start it what? thanks

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
don't start the motor up with no spring in the primary clutch! with no spring force working against the flyweight force, the moving sheave is going to slam up against the stationary sheave even at low idle speeds.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
When you take the spring out, take the belt off first, put the cover back on and just slide it by hand in and out to see if it moves freely. My guess is the bushings are gummed up, and or the weights are sticky.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The puller is the 14 mm that was only used on the 97-99 Big Block 6-700's. I'm going to go with flat spot in a roller causing the hang up.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
That could be too! Mine tend to stick to the bolt for some reason, they will still move, just not as free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts