Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few pretty knowledgable guys here on the xc700. I'm looking at 2 of them and thought I'd ask some opinions. Please, if you have no experience I don't care what your cousins best friend thinks.
First I'm looking at is a 99 xc700 with slp pipe and clutching. Rebuilt over the summer with zero hours, lower end supposedly rebuilt the previous summer. I can't get him to come down from 1700, I've made a couple offers but he won't budge because of his custom ghost flame paintjob.
Second is a 98 with twin slp pipes, delta vforce 3 reeds, and 82mm wiseco pistons. I guess this sled has led to me posting this thread. I'm unsure of the reliablity of a twin piped twin for a trail sled? I'm in the market for a quick trail sled and don't want to worry about it breaking down. This one is listed for 1500 which I still think is high but I haven't made an offer yet because of the twins. Am I worried about nothing?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
the way i look at it is you can have problems with any sled if its modded or stock i have a 99 xc slp twins slp clutch kits slp boost slp power packs in the carbs vforce reeds gutted air box and it runs awsome there a quick sled for sure. if the carbs arnt set right with whats done to it you will get it running lean and thats when you have problems everyone think just bc it has twins its not reliable. the carbs on these xc are really fussy i have been told and found out for myself. take your time clean the carbs dial them in perfect it will take a couple times im sure to get them tuned but when you do you wont be put down. what maybe the day an you will get a couple guys to back me up that help me with tuning this mine.
20108292038498_26572.jpg

20108292035716_26572.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would go with the 98 as long as there arent a ton of miles on it. Never had twins on mine so I cant give you any advice on that, but I do love the single pipe I have on mine. If you dont like the twin pipes, or find they are too finiky, you could always sell them for more than what a used slp sigle pipe would go for.

Either that or literally wave $1500 cash in 100 dollar bills in front of the guy with the 99s face.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Multiple pipes are usually, more temperamental than singles. Single will give you better low end torque. Twins better top end power but need more attention to tuning for changing conditions.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
ya the twin slps are much harder to dial in the exact setup and are more tempermental to temp changes and elevations

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dodgetruck2 said:
are more tempermental to temp changes and elevations
This is what I'm worried about. I'm also looking into a couple ultras as well. I'll be looking at a 96 Ultra tomorrow. Just for the record I'm not trying to stir any triple/twin crap. I just need a good trail sled as I don't intend to use my Assualt for the trails.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The 99 has nicer ergos. The 98 better looks IMO. Is the 99 an SP? SP ahd a better (Fox) shock package and a racer style seat with a black hood. Standard 99 XC 7 had a single touring seat with a white hood and cheap shocks. The ultra is a good sled, but the XC is superior IMO.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i just got off the phone with slp bc i had some ?s and i asked him about that and he said it normally will be ok you just might lose a little bottom end up in a little high elevation but when you come back down you will be fine

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 98 XC 700 and love the sled. I've ran it with twin pipes and the slp single along with the stock pipe. The twins are meant for racing and thats what I used them for. You can trail ride with twin pipes but jetting needs to be more spot on and especially the clutch set up. The twins gave more power obviously but its all high rpm hp. All in all I like the single pipes allot better, way less finicky. If the 98 and 99 have similar miles and are in similar condition then I would take the 98 and sell the twin pipes and put on a single pipe. The 98 might even have the 220 cylinders which make more torque.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tnmemr said:
The 99 has nicer ergos. The 98 better looks IMO. Is the 99 an SP? SP ahd a better (Fox) shock package and a racer style seat with a black hood. Standard 99 XC 7 had a single touring seat with a white hood and cheap shocks. The ultra is a good sled, but the XC is superior IMO.
Not an sp.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
When I had my RMK, one of my set ups was; Stock engine, gutted airbox, SLP twins, 210 Mains, stock RMK pilots and needles and a clutch set up that I probably posted somewhere about 3 or 4 years ago. Ran great.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
powersledder said:
Ran great.
....if you changed jets every 15 minutes?

Mud, get the one with twins. You'll LOVE the racket they make! Then, if you don't like the finicky aspect just sell the twins and get a single.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
You will get mixed opinions on this. I have HTG twins on my '99 and they have been on there for the sleds whole life so far...which is just over 8k miles. I did burn it down a while back but to this day I blame that on some old shat gas I got in the middle of no-mans land. I check the plugs every now and then and it runs great, doesn't foul plugs and sounds pretty nice as well. Boost bottle, power-packs, reeds, jetting and clutching all have good influences on these sleds.

I, myself, like either of those sleds and wouldn't hesitate to buy either...depending on price. It sounds as though the '98 is a little better buy but then again the motor is all new on the '99....so? Price and condition are the main factors. And nevermind the ultra's...but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Rubi said:
powersledder said:
Ran great.

Mud, get the one with twins. You'll LOVE the racket they make! Then, if you don't like the finicky aspect just sell the twins and get a single.
X2 give them a try, invest in a jet on the fly kit for a couple hundred bucks and you would have a nice setup

http://www.thunderproducts.com/IntelaJet.htm

·
Registered
632 Posts
get the 99, swap out the twins for for a single. I had a 99 600 stock that really ripped.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Rubi said:
powersledder said:
Ran great.

No, this was before I started screwing with everything else and that damn PSI motor. With the SLP's I dropped 210's in the carbs and never touched them again...until I pulled the motor and replaced it with that damn PSI motor.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Most guys give twin pipes a bad name because they don't know how to tune them. If you do everything the brand calls for and do the proper tuning, you will not have any issues. Most guys just slap them on and burn down there engine. But they can and will give you alot more performance if tuned properly and WILL be reliable.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I would go with the 98 just because it may have the coveted 220 cylinders, as for suspension they are both equal xtra 10. as for pipes there is a device that takes the worry out of jetting it basically jets for temp and elevation I would look into this if you are worried.
http://www.holtzmaneng.com/

1 - 20 of 37 Posts