Snowmobile Fanatics banner

7021 - 7040 of 7070 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Or I might just toss one of my prox rear skids in it with some ryde fx clickers I had sitting around. Guess I'll see what I decide to do lol. Plans are always changing..

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a couple of problems!

Sled: '98 XCR 440
Problem 1: crankcase loaded up with fuel after sitting (hydro-locked). I assumed it was a bad needle and seat(s). BUT, I notice fuel in the impulse line.
Question 1: Is it possible that the fuel in the impulse line was because the needle/seat stuck OR could it be a bad fuel pump?
Question 2: Where's a good place to get a new pump - it has a Walbro. A new Mikuni pump won't fit without modifications.

I have pulled, and pulled, and pulled, and fuel keeps gushing out of the intake ports. I turned off the fuel but it just keeps coming.

Problem 2: I broke the cast aluminum "post" on the carb while tapping out the pin that holds the float. I just had that pin out last week and I was being gentle, but it still happened. I know the carb is junk now. I have a spare carb, but it's pin is being stubborn. I sprayed some penetrating oil on it and am waiting.
Question: Any tricks tapping out that pin? Heat?

Problem 3: I bought the sled with C&A skis and I'd like stock skis on it.
Question: Do all '98 Polaris' have the same black plastic ski or was the XCR ski specific to the XCR?

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
103 Posts
UPDATE to above: I got it running with the spare carb. Fuel pump seems fine. I sure had an issue getting the float pin out of the spare carb too....drilling the pin, tapping, Dremel tool to tip of the pin, tapping, repeat, repeat, repeat. I finally got it out. New needle/seats in both. Drained the case through the impulse line port. Seems to run fine. I'm going to try running AVGAS from here on out. A lot of my collection sits a lot and ethanol gas is causing a lot of time replacing hoses and stuff!

I'd still like to know if all '98 Polaris skis were the same as the XCR so I can get mine back to stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had my motor on my 98 xcr 440 redone. It's now on 110 race gas, carbs were bored, vforce reeds. I plan to hill climb this sled and I'm looking for any insight on jetting it and possibly some clutching ideas. I'm new to this machine.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
UPDATE to above: I got it running with the spare carb. Fuel pump seems fine. I sure had an issue getting the float pin out of the spare carb too....drilling the pin, tapping, Dremel tool to tip of the pin, tapping, repeat, repeat, repeat. I finally got it out. New needle/seats in both. Drained the case through the impulse line port. Seems to run fine. I'm going to try running AVGAS from here on out. A lot of my collection sits a lot and ethanol gas is causing a lot of time replacing hoses and stuff!

I'd still like to know if all '98 Polaris skis were the same as the XCR so I can get mine back to stock.
Fuel pumps usually have rebuild kits available. A broken diaphragm will act as you've explained. Using non-ethanol fuel is best along with 91 octane minimum
Where are you located? I have oem skis.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Just had my motor on my 98 xcr 440 redone. It's now on 110 race gas, carbs were bored, vforce reeds. I plan to hill climb this sled and I'm looking for any insight on jetting it and possibly some clutching ideas. I'm new to this machine.
New to the machine and have made changes. What were carbs bored to? V-Force won't gain much if anything. These sleds run hard when tuned well.
Bored carbs will reduce bottom end torque which is already lacking with small bore high performance engines.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Where should the vent/vacuum lines off the sides of my carbs go? Been reading around and haven't got an exact loacation yet. Thanks
Best to vent them to the airbox under the shelf. This is a change from factory stock. More consistent, better running.
Requires 2-3 sizes larger main jets though. Requires (2) Polaris part #7052127 fittings for the airbox.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you sir! Also having a very hard time as far has finding the hot seat 52 34s helix. Is there something you may now that's comparable to that? I found the 52 38x and seemed to have good reviews on it. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Thank you sir! Also having a very hard time as far has finding the hot seat 52 34s helix. Is there something you may now that's comparable to that? I found the 52 38x and seemed to have good reviews on it. Thanks again
Hot Seat (HSP) helixes are difficult to find. The 52/38x is too much helix for a 440.
"pockets" on https://www.hardcoresledder.com would be a good source. He has done a lot of work and testing tuning Polaris sleds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If my belt to sheave clearance is not right and is to tight...will that cause me begging issues off the line? I've tried to run my sled a little leaner and richer but seems like the sled still runs the same no matter what. I do have the tempaflow installed as well. As soon as I pin the throttle it bogs down then take a few seconds for it to pick up and go. I also have the 074 belt I just haven't dont the sheave clearance yet. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Yes, clutches not being happy can cause bogging. Your belt to sheave clearance needs to be correct along with deflection and alignment. Are the clutches in good shape?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clutches are OK but not the best. I was going to rebuild the whole primary and have the clearance done at the same time. Just wanted to see if that could be a possibility of my bogging. Been fighting the jetting but over looked the belt to sheave clearance.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Hey gents its been a while. Hope everyone is enjoying the Red Rockets so far this winter. Mother nature has been difficult this year in my area so no real riding yet. Hoping to get my RR out for a ride in the next few weeks. Saw a Youtube of a 440 giving a Skidoo 800 a good run recently. Simonxcr440 was that you??

Reactions: RedRocketXCR

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm looking for some primary clutch setups for running hill climbs. Some are straight drags and some are not. Looking for a set up for both situations. Thanks guys.

7021 - 7040 of 7070 Posts