Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK what gives. Im not a big XCR guy. SO whats the big deal about the XCR 440. espcially the 98? Come one poeple i need some details!? whats soo awsome about them?

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Can you say quick 440 lol. lets put it this way I have been smoked by a 98 xcr 440 and i have a 600 triumph. i lined up with the guy and he just lit me up no joke he took me out of the hole and i finally caught up a bit but i could not hold up. he beat me by about 3 sled lengths.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
98 440 xcr I believe was the first polaris 440 w/ power valves,fast sled out of the hole and respectable top end speed. wish I had one.extremly light weight trail sled...you could throw it around all day and not even be tired....not to mention it looks awesome

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well what are the specs on these bad boys?

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
there are alot of people on this fourm that have these machines. give them a little while they will post. i dont know the specs but i bet they do. i would also love to own a 98 xcr 440.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea the red 98s are sweet. From all the talk about them id like to have one too!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
If polaris made a 440 xcr still in the edge chassis I would definetly buy one...w/power valves....damn that would be sweet...I think I will send an email to Tillers....

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've got one guys, and its pretty sweet. Before putting in new pistons and rings and cleaning the power valves i saw 95 on the speedo. I havent hit it hard with the new parts yet though.
The power valves add something like 13% more hp. an Increase of something like from 85hp to 95 hp, not bad.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Heres my little lady. Check out the big 440 post in the performance tunning shop or do a search. Id sooner give up a kidney than this.

Dont get overly excited tho. Some of this borders on the vintage thing. Its the last of the good wedgies with the best parts Polaris had on the shelves at the time. The new ones will smoke it by a fairly large margin with everything being equal but on the other hand the guy with the new sled better not be sleeping when put up against a well tuned sled like Fred has (if he ever gets his back together).Fred, Tnmer,CanadianXCR,madcow, xcr440 and a couple others including myself are all fairly good resources for info

[attachment=54575]

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Hey guys I'm in too, lets not forget that the 97 XCR 440 was the first RED ROCKET even though most 97's for sure received the 98 motor updates, heres a shot of my 97 on the rack, nearly finished, just need to get the skid back in and wait for these dreary conditions to change before I can get it out to tune it.
[attachment=54578]

Attachments

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Polaris releases the ‘Domestic’ engine program

* 1997 XCR-440

Fuji no longer the engine of choice in the Polaris lineup. By the mid 1990s, Skidoo and Arctic Cat had both
made drastic changes to their sled lineups and were finally producing highly capable, good looking, and reliable
sleds that any consumer would by, not just those that were brand loyal. Even Yamaha was set to make
revolutionary changes to their sled lineup that hadn’t been seen since the early 1980s.

Polaris needed more direct control of their engine program and believed the answer could be found by manufacturing
their own engines. So in late 1996 the first of the ‘Domestic Polaris’ engines was produced for the XCR-440 race sled.
Using parts sourced from the best manufacturers around the world, these all new case reed inducted engines featured
the latest in two stroke designs with Nicasil cylinders, dyke ring pistons, 'fatty' tuned exhaust systems, and advanced
CDI systems as well. Using the best of the best approach, Polaris was clearly not giving in to the competition.

However the biggest news had to be the addition of the Polaris VES system. Skidoo had pioneered the exhaust
valve or RAVE in the late 1980s and Skidoo riders had enjoyed the benefits of the broad powerband as a result.
With this new engine, Polaris gave XCR riders the added power of high exhaust ports with the low end grunt of low
exhaust ports with this spring activated valve system.

1997 XCR-440
The first XCR to feature the Polaris built engine, it offered class leading horsepower, an all new CRC front end,
and heavily revised Xtra-10 rear skid as well.

Liquid cooled, case reed 439cc twin w/34mm carbs & VES
New large face gauges and race oriented controls
CRC steering package with tucked in trailing arms.

Subtle updates and new names highlight the standard models. For the non racing crowd, the production XC-440
[the ‘R’ model was only for the racer] offered a refinement of the ’96 version with new graphics. Those still wanting
a lightweight trail weapon and didn’t find the new Aggressive chassis appealing could choose the revised XC-600
that featured all new Xtra-10 front suspension, High Output –04 XLT engine package, and other detail changes that
made it the best monoblock XC(r) to date.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
She will be back together by next weekend boys! To bad I never noticed that wear in the clutch face untill now. These sleds were probably the best sled out of the box Polaris has made. Like alot of people said, they are light an quick and used top notch parts. I even find if I'm parked in a group of sleds no matter what, I find that the lil red rocket still stands out, just something about them.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow 95hp out of a little 440. thats very impressive? What do that 98s go for about theses days?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I have seens prices from $1200-$2500. Depends on the shape.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I might have one up for grabs soon. Find out over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Better not be thinking about sellin' yours!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Im putting the 440 back into the old one. Looking at another sled and could use the cash.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how much you gunna be lookin to get for it?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Thinking like 1500 or so maybe less. Ive done alot to this. New driveshaft and jackshaft bearings, almost all the heim joints are new, all new bushings in the front end, skis are off my 00 700, the skid has brand new rails, the internal skid wheels are new, later style idlers and bogies, 600 miles on the shock rebuild, nice track off my 700

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmmmmm...ill have to see how far miniapolis is from me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts