Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I own a 96 XCR 600 monoblock and the sled takes off at 4500-5000 rpms I want to use it for hauling my dog sled for ice fishing should I leave it the way it is? any advice would help.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I dont think its really gunna make a diffrence...5000 rpms is PLENTY but if you want to lower it drop your clutch sping to a softer one untill you like it the way it is.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
5000 is about right for a triple, but if your not looking for the most out of a launch you could go with a lighter weight spring to bring your engagement down.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Those motors like higher rpms for engagement. Gearing it down would help a lot.

·
Registered
916 Posts
5000 rpm engagement for pulling a sleigh is retarded, definitely get a light weight spring in that sucker before you dump your whole sleigh load out on the lake. Unless your dragging, it is nice to have it around 4000. It's really hard on the driveline to engage that high. My XCR 800 is around 3900, nice and smoooooth.

You probably have a dark blue spring it in? maybe go to gold? Not sure on that, hopefully others will chime in to clarify.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So should I put a softer spring for hauling or is the one in it fine? It won't hurt my sled for general riding engaging that high, but I like it for dragging I took a 97 700 ultra piped off the line a couple of weeks ago. So my main question is will it hurt the sled to engage that high, or should I go with a spring in between hauling and dragging say 3500 rpm what color spring do you guys recommend. Thanks for all the help.

Yes I got a dark blue spring in it.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
The spring thats in it is probably what will work best for most riding, it will work for pulling your stuff around also, but its up to you, what do you do mostly. The 600 triples like to engage higher, 5000 is about right, much less and it will bog off the line.

·
Registered
558 Posts
MaineXCR said:
So should I put a softer spring for hauling or is the one in it fine? It won't hurt my sled for general riding engaging that high, but I like it for dragging I took a 97 700 ultra piped off the line a couple of weeks ago. So my main question is will it hurt the sled to engage that high, or should I go with a spring in between hauling and dragging say 3500 rpm what color spring do you guys recommend. Thanks for all the help.

Yes I got a dark blue spring in it.
Put a softer spring in it yes 3000-3500 seems right for pulling a sleigh

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If you are going to lower the engagement of that sled, you should gear it lower. The XLT motors don't have the low end torque needed for pulling especially with stock gearing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to buy a different spring to try I probably put the blue one back in though, I think my sled has 500 gears in it (don't know if its possible) but top speed is 100 mph but up until 100 mph it pulls good.

Maybe it goes 105 I'm doing radar runs this year that should be helpful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts