Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking for some more help with my 97 xcr 600 triple-triple that has a snapped crank. The crank snapped between the clutch and the block. My brother got a crank from a local shop that no longer carries polaris for $20. The shop said it was for a 96 xcr, and has the rods on it. I can't see any wear on it at all and the bearings seem to be in good shape. I haven't pulled my crank out yet to compair the two. How can I tell if this crank is actually for a 96 xcr? Are there any id numbers on the crank to look for? The crank sat on a shelf for who knows how long and has very light rust on it in a few spots,the shop mechanic couldn't tell if it was ever used. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You have to take yours out anyways, and 20.00 for a crank!! does he have any more???? I would send it to a shop, just to check it out, and have them clean it up. You will know by comparing them pretty easy. WHAT A STEAL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>20.00

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
just checked on www.partsland.com and they are showing completely different cranks for the sp and monoblock.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The triple triple cranks will have a gear between the mag and center cyl rods that drives the waterpump. The monoblock crank will not have the gear. Either way, that's one helluva deal for that crank. If you wish to part with it, PM me. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The crank I picked up has a gear between the mag side cylinder and the center cylinder. Will this fit my 97 XCR600 triple-triple for sure? I cleaned the minor rust up with some super fine steel wool,worked great. Is this motor considered a SP? I called the shop the crank came from, and they don't have any more cranks, sorry guys.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
HEY DOC!!!!!!!I saw him first!lol, if you have 3 seperate cylinders, its an sp, if the cylinders are all in one, (monoblock casting) its a regular. the SP had reed valves,under each carb, whereas the regulars were piston port

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it was a SP but wasn't sure. I had a new polaris shop look at the crank and the mechanic said the crank was for a xcr 600 triple-triple(SP). I had him check the run out on it and he said it was perfect as well as the bearings. I got the crank for $20 and had it checked for $20, WHAT A DEAL!!!!!!!! I'm going to have a new PTO shaft put on the broken crank and keep it for a spare. Thanks for all the info guys!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts