Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the back end of the sled raised up to replace the sliders. Dropped the sled off of the chain hoist and pulled it outside to start.
The first pull on the recoil felt seemed like there was a higher resistance then normal and it didnt start up. Second pull started the sled but was only running on 2 cylinders. Noticed coolant from the exhaust and shut the engine off.
Pics show the damage to the mag side head.
I'm wondering if some fuel got past the needle when the back end of the sled was elevated and into the mag side. When the other 2 cylinders fired it might used a hydraulic effect to crack the head?
That's my best guess .........any other suggestions has to how this might have happened?
I got a used head from Bent Toys in North Bay delivered by Purolator today...total cost $135. New from Polaris...$298

· Registered
1,217 Posts
that possibilty is as good as any, i had the same exact thing happen to my ultra way back, basically same engine as yours. happened twice then the crank went out. my thought was the waterpump went bad allowing collant to leak into that cylinder. strangely enough mine was mag cylinder as well. ended up losing that rod a few weeks later, assuming i didnt clean it up well enough??? i replaced the whole motor and never really investigated.

· Registered
2,738 Posts
It's good practice to turn the fuel valve off during transportation or any time the sled is on its side or the rear end is lifted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.