Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boys, had the 800 out this weekend against my buddy and his done up Ultra w/SLP pipes the whole nine. That sled goes good but it couldn't hold a candle to the all mightly XCR. Walked past him on the lake at 90MPH...felt goood.

·
Registered
345 Posts
well, that spoiled my fun. i was hoping to try mine against an XCR 800 when i got the clutching dialed in. oh well, im still happy with it. there isnt too much out there that walks away from it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Originally posted by boody1981
[br]Hey boys, had the 800 out this weekend against my buddy and his done up Ultra w/SLP pipes the whole nine. That sled goes good but it couldn't hold a candle to the all mightly XCR. Walked past him on the lake at 90MPH...felt goood.
What have you done for studs?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I havent raced against any Ultras in my area but I did managed to beat a few MachZs, TCATS, ZR9s with my '99 XCR8 - there were none XCR8 in the area that was faster than my sled few years back. I now have '00 XCR8 and this sled is faster than my old '99. WL.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i have seen indyultra and xcr hyper triple go head to head to many times to count the piped ultra just cant compete with a xcr 800 ves. depending on the slp pipe the ultra had (either high rpm or low) still looking at about 20 - 25 hp less, and an entirely differnt power band.

cheers

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Stock xcr800 is 152hp? and a piped ultra with reeds should be close to 150hp. The ultra is lighter and the xcr is more efficient. I want so bad to put my piped ultra against my stock xcr. Both are very fast. As far as studs, running 144 on both and it's not enough.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Originally posted by Ultra680
[br] a piped ultra with reeds should be close to 150hp.
On a perfect day, jetted perfectly (remeber these are tested under controlled conditions)... the manufacturer of said pipe *Says* it will get you 40+hp... but I bet not..

anyone that throws some pipes on (a well used,worn ultra mind you) and expects to get 45hp out of it must be mad.

A well used ultra..about 100hp..set of pipes.. problaby only getting 30hp out of them..if your lucky.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]
On a perfect day, jetted perfectly (remeber these are tested under controlled conditions)... the manufacturer of said pipe *Says* it will get you 40+hp... but I bet not..

anyone that throws some pipes on (a well used,worn ultra mind you) and expects to get 45hp out of it must be mad.

A well used ultra..about 100hp..set of pipes.. problaby only getting 30hp out of them..if your lucky.
Now your just adding another variable to make the argument sway to a certain side. Also I doubt a loss of compression from 135 to 115 would truly cause that much loss of power. Let's face it the Ultra is about 110 HP stock machine and you are predicting a 10 HP lose with the loss of 20 PSI compression. I say you see a loss of 3-5 HP at the most. Then you talk about adding pipes and your trying to say a 15 HP loss from possible peak is possible, come on. Just because you add pipes doesn't mean the loss multiplies! And why would it? What factor would create that result? The loss of compression would be the same, that doesn't make the pipes any less effective. The pipes still enable you to tune for more RPM and more volume. A loss of compression will not multiply your number.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got 144 picks in the track, round almond prim.spring. The Ultra I did for my buddy last summer, he's got the 8700rpm pipes, clutched, primary and secondary, jetting is done, everything that SLP calls for. The thing is awsome for an Ultra. On occation she will hit 120 on the dream-o-meter.

As for ruining your fun with wanting to run you Ultra with a XCR 8...try it anyway. Like they all said there is still quite a power difference between them. My buddy was not dissapointed at all...he never expected to beat me. But it was all fun.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My remark about the used Ultra does not just imply lower compression. Everything about the engine is worn and not performing at peak. eg, bearings, clutch.
True my statement about HP could be wrong, but with everything being worn, you are not getting full power from it.

no biting my head off:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
well i just rebuilt both clutches, cleaned the carbs, checked compression when i bought it and it was all right around 120 (give or take a few), and did al the yearly maintenance to it. now ive got the pipes and just waiting for come clutch parts to come in. the jetting will always change depending on the conditions of the day.

I dont think it wil take an XCR 800 BUT, i do think it will take a 700 XCR and maybe a storm. im going to do some radar runs in a few weeks and ill have a chance to go up against some 7's and 8's. ill let you know how it goes. ill try to get pics.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]

I'm talking setup on a dyno by a pro. My ultra was dialed in at 150hp. (1200 miles old) That will vary with conditions. Some pipes are over rated and some under rated. As you say, the condition of the motor is the biggest determining factor. Your not going to get 150hp out of a worn motor. Just more headaches.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Indyguy,

Your ultra will be awsome and you will likely smoke an old storm or XCR 700, you are way lighter and produce awsome power. make sure you back the timing up when you get it all done, you want to go back about 4 degrees. Also I would highly recomend a Holtzman Tempa flo for the airbox. These things work awsome on the ultra's, don't have to worry about jetting every day and you will have a lot more consistant power day to day. Also better milage. Without it expect around 7 or 8mpg when your working it hard and around 11-12mpg riding with the girls. All in all you won't know your on an Ultra! Don't be surprised to bury the speedo!

So far the XCR 800 of mine has hit 112mph on the GPS. Not bad but i'll squeeze it tighter next time.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Math?? ok a blown piston skirt within 1000miles from overreving.
Good luck though

·
Registered
448 Posts
Originally posted by JONESIE
[br]i have seen indyultra and xcr hyper triple go head to head to many times to count the piped ultra just cant compete with a xcr 800 ves. depending on the slp pipe the ultra had (either high rpm or low) still looking at about 20 - 25 hp less, and an entirely differnt power band.

cheers
but damn it was pretty close even with my bearing and crack seal going south, we will have to see this year with having all new bearings and the ported cylinders and heads! but it's always fun to try and take down a sled with more cc's than what you have[;)]

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Later this winter I'd like to line up my Ultra 800 BB against an xcr800. First gotta take a day to get the jetting and clutching figured out....and swap out the 19/41 gearing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
hey boody1981, thanks for the input.

im going to take it out this weekend and see how it works with all the right clutching if the parts even come in. the parts are taking too long. they should have been here last week. i think i will look into that holtzman tempa flow.

SLP reccomends leaving the timing at the factory setting (26 degrees at 3500 rpm) i trusted that ti was set to those specs, ill have to double check that. any good clutch set-ups for the piped ultras?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts