Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to know how to adjust the air screw on my 2001 xcr 800 mine are at 1 turn i wonder if it is right thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That sled has FUEL screws, not air screws. I dont have the specs handy, but 1 turn out sounds right. Fuel screws are a little more touchy than air screws, so go 1/8 to 1/4 turns at a time. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yup, 1 turn out from a light seat. The Mikuni flatslides do not have an air mixture screw, they have a fuel mixture screw, located on the side of the carb nearest the reeds. Usually easily identified by the large plastic vaned cap on them. They point away from the clutch.The fuel screw works exactly opposite than the air screw on the roundslides. If you turn them OUT, it will richen the mixture. IN leans the mix.

Interestingly there is no mention of the fuel screw in the service manual Vol IV. I read about this in an online tuning guide for the Mikuni TM. Which I looked for for two hours today and could not find.

·
Registered
187 Posts
TheKuskoKid:
These are fuel screws on the flatslides, not air screws. On the round slides, with air screws, turning the screws in richens the mixture, out leans it more.
On the flatslides, its the opposite. These are equipt with fuel screws. Therefore, when you turn the screw out, its richer, in is leaner.
Just wanted to clear that up so no one gets confused.
xcrpolaris:
If you have more questions, let me know. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Quoting myself
" Yup, 1 turn out from a light seat. On the Mikuni flatslides, they work differently than on the roundslides. If you turn them IN, it will richen the mixture. OUT leans the mix."

Oh wow, I had major brainfade, amazing, especially considering the many posts I've made concering the Mikuni flatslide carb, and the fact that I have owned an xcr-800 for two years now with...you guessed it: flatslides.

Edited by me

·
Registered
187 Posts
ThekuskoKid:
I'm here as well due to HCS being full of people that like to bicker. If you read some of my posts, I try to answer questions fully and in a professional manner. From one professional to another (I've been a Polaris mechanic for 11 years, now on the side, and currently perform maintenance on nuclear reactors), I prefer to use method 2. When you post, chat, or whatever, you can be mislead on what people say by not hearing how someone is speaking. People that are reading it for advice and guidance, take it eagerly and are grateful to have this info. Those who get corrected seem to take it the wrong way. Rereading that, I can see how you might think I was trying to be a patronizing smart ass, but I assure you that is not the case. I apologize if that's how you took it, but all I'm trying to do is get precise information out there. In no way am I here to put people down and make enemies. Last thing I want is for people to spread the word that I'm a prick and for them to not seek guidance from me, or anyone else on this site. So I take what you say as constructive criticism, seriously. No one is perfect by any means. Thank you for pointing that out. In the future, I'll try to word my replies more carefully. English never was my strong point in school. I envy you for your knowledge in chemistry and math, I wish I knew it better myself. Take care and thanks again.
-Polaris Doc

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Okay, I was too sensitive and got hot under the collar too easily. Edited to remove MY smart aleck comments.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can anyone tell me if i am jetted right pilot is 50, main are 440, and there is another one marked 145 don't know what that one is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now i would like to know how to adjust the idle on my xcr. when i try to adjust it it's either too low (1500 rpm) or too high (3700) at 3700 rpm the clutch ingages. i need help! thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts