Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright I got a 99 xcr 800 that seems like it might be dropping a hole right around 7000 rpm. at first I thought it was just the primary clutch because it needed a rebuild, I did that didn't help so I'm thinking maybe a coil is cutting out? any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Check the coild grounds - one of mine was loose a while back and when it revved high it would vibrate apart.

How's your plug color? Piston wash? Using more or less fuel recently? New gas?

Bryan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plug color is light tan im running 430 main jets pilots are stock, dosen't seem to be using more fuel, and the gas is fresh
all 3 holes were consistant at 130 when I checked the compression

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
When's the last time you rebuilt the fuel pump? The pentagonal pumps are high-flows and at 7k, if there's a hole in the imulse line or one of the diaphrams it will lower the amount of fuel to the carbs.

Bryan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rebuilt it last year, do you think the primary spring could be worn out thats the only thing i didnt replace when i rebuilt the clutch

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yes, a soft spring will cause it to engage quicker and the sheeves to come together easier.

Put it on a stand (I know there's not a load) and rev it up. Does it look like it engages sooner than it used to?

To backtrack - is there a noise or anything at 7k? Popping, bogging, etc? Or it just won't go any higher?

If it won't go any higher it's Definately a clutching issue.

Bryan

·
Registered
916 Posts
First thing i would look at is the exhaust valve bellows. sounds like you got one leaking, this will throw your port timing way off and make it run like its on two cyl. Also throw your milage out the window

·
Registered
864 Posts
Tps connected?
Vent tubes on?
I picked up a inline spark testers at Princess..Either that or a timing light and try it up on a stand...

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
stator

1 - 10 of 10 Posts