Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my xcr 800 edge out for a good long ride for its break in.Stopped for a plug check the center cylinder looks why to clean.Got it back to the shop last night pull the heads and it looks like it might be antifreeze not allot and not so green more of a grey color but it is antifreeze piston and cylinder survived.Had the sled out for a ride last week just a few mile low snow conditions.re torqued the heads 18 lbs pounds.No visible signs of damage to head gaskets The gasket kit is cometic.Has anyone else had a problem with cometic head gaskets or a base gasket.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
there is no head gasket just an oring, not uncommon to see them leak if the sled got hot or if someone took the head off and didnt have them in place.

for the base gaskets i had some problems with paper over the years, so i have been using cometic steel with rubber coating and have not had a bad one yet.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I took it back apart the center o ring has a little nick in it I had a extra top end kit so I did them all .Check them for warp they look great and they should had the shaved .9 timing at 1/8" on the stator running a gal of torco 116 to a tank of 93. Havent ridden it yet but gave it a few good pulls on the stand and let it get up to operating temp (according to the temp gauge)so far so good just not enough snow here to take it out for some trail time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used a Cometic top end gasket kit on my motor and blew out a base gasket, that's when I switched to the rubber coated steel-problem solved. Cometic also said their rubber coated steel gaskets aren't reusable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
monstermalibu said:
I used a Cometic top end gasket kit on my motor and blew out a base gasket, that's when I switched to the rubber coated steel-problem solved. Cometic also said their rubber coated steel gaskets aren't reusable.
For sure. I was a dummy and tried to re-use one last year (only had 100 miles on it) all it got me was tearing it apart again this year to stop a coolant leak..

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i have reused the rubber steel ones many times over. maybe i just got lucky?

·
Registered
1 Posts
650indy1 said:
Finally got my xcr 800 edge out for a good long ride for its break in.Stopped for a plug check the center cylinder looks why to clean.Got it back to the shop last night pull the heads and it looks like it might be antifreeze not allot and not so green more of a grey color but it is antifreeze piston and cylinder survived.Had the sled out for a ride last week just a few mile low snow conditions.re torqued the heads 18 lbs pounds.No visible signs of damage to head gaskets The gasket kit is cometic.Has anyone else had a problem with cometic head gaskets or a base gasket.
I fought a problem with my XC 600, and after 3 gaskets, taking the engine out and pressure testing it, I found a hairline crack in one of the heads that was opening up after it got warm and under higher RPMs. Similar symptom, 'clean' cylinder, some intermitent backfires after a long ride, and the cooling chamber would get pressurized and fill with bubbles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts