Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me if it is possible to run straight pipes right off the motor on this 800 ves triple? by this i mean, say flanging up to 2.5 or 3" pipes bending them the way i need them then exiting out the stock exit with some modification. can this be done on this ves motor? . thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
you's freakin crazy yo. 1. no back pressure 2. WHY??? 3. Everybody will hate you the first time you drive by. I wouldn't do that if it was a race only sled. You could go find some real pipes and make your own stingers, but the straight pipe idea will probably not work. I hope I didn't miss the true meaning of your question. Good luck-

07rmkracer

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
They used to run straight pipes and megaphones on sleds in the late 60's and early 70's. Then they realized that a tuned pipe would create more power using scavenging. So today's engine's are designed to harness the power of tuned pipes and if you remove them, your engine will run like crap and you'll toast it in a very short time.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
A two-stroke is not like a 4-stroke where the valves are there to do the work. The two-stroke relies on the pipe to refelect pressure back to the port. That is why two-stroke pipes have the cones designed in them. These cones manipulate the pressure waves emitted from the port of the motor. The first cone you'll notice is a divergent cone that will pull more fuel through the motor. Then the second cone you see is a convergent cone that forces the charge back into the cylinder. By taking these cones out of the equation you lose you volumetric efficiency and lose a ton of power. Plus you will most likely burn it up as you have changed the length of the pipes which determine the RPM the sled is capable of running. This is always a terrible idea, and I always discourage it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]...volumetric efficiency... This is always a terrible idea, and I always discourage it.
Well said. I would have never utilized such mind boggling lingo, but it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
You may have gathered that you can run the pipes you describe, but it will never run good. Two stokers are very very touchy to pipe changes. A little change effects performance, A big change can cost you a motor.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
As Triple650 stated. When a two-stroke operates, there is a place in the cycle where both the intake ports and exhaust ports are open at the same time. Some of the fresh fuel charge is pulled into the pipe by the flow of exhaust; the pipe causes a rebound pressure wave that puts the fuel back into the cylinder. Without that fuel in the cylinder, the mixture is lean and lean is hot, which will melt the piston tops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts