Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be cool to have a designated thread for the 99-03 xcr 800's. If you have a particular experience to share, please describe in detail.

Found two significant problems with the sled during my first week of ownership. The ves valves are aluminum and are very fragile and the left front motor mount is wimpy.

Ves valves: PN 3086141

My advice is to remove the entire assembly with the two hex head bolts and clean the valves with the bellows and whatnot attached. Maybe every other time take the cover off and clean the oil out from under the bellows. This should be sufficient for proper 500 mile maintainence and cause you only a little trouble. If you let them go too long and have to take them all the way apart to clean, Do not , Do not, remove the hex nuts on top of the valve blade as they will break very easilly unless you know what you are doing. Do not check for torque just for ****s and grins, just leave them alone until you know how to do it. Its 50.00 for a new one. If you do have to remove them, I have read a quick dose of propane (like 1 second) over the nut to soften the locktight and it comes right out. Be carefull of the bellows. Tightening procedure is finger tight and maybe a 1/8" turn after that with a 1/4" drive ratchet. I didnt use any locktite. I think the tension of the spring combined with the little bit of existing locktite will be enough to hold it. Pay attention to the "UP"stamped on the valve blade. The upside designation (hence the "UP") of the valve should be readable when installing/removing the valve blade.

There is a another proposed fix if you had the time. I think the threads could be machined off flush with the shoulder and then drilled and tapped. A 1/4" hunk of threaded rod that matches the nut could be installed. Im going to do that to the one I broke and keep it for a spare. In essence, this could be a better design as you could use a steel material.

Engine Mount: PN 3021298
Mine also had the inherant issue with the engine mount due to not having a torque stop installed from the factory. A new mount and a torque stop are the shopping list. SLP has a torque stop thats kinda cheesy but it will work. I fabricated my own.

Found the polaris books have the diagrahm reversed and recieved the wrong one. There are two sizes. Thick and thin. Thin mount towards the pipe (the one that breaks) and the fat one goes to the back. PN I think it was under 30.00. The fat one is like 12.00.

This job was a royal pita. For the life of me I could not get the mount installed without removing the pipes, airbox, carbs, all four mounting bolts AND the clutch side engine strap. Once you get all the stuff out of the way, stick a cheap skrew jack under the primary clutch and raise the engine far enough to remove the engine strap. Remove and reinstall the old mount and the clutch side engine strap bolts. The strap will lay in there fine now on the mounts. Now all you have to do is finangle the two engine mouning bolts back into the engine. This part sucked but can be done. A ratchet wrench helps alot. I am sure there is a better way but I couldnt find it. I think purchasing a tool for removing and re-installing all the friggin exhaust springs would be a wise idea. I also installed new exhaust gaskets at this time due to the amount of effort required to get in there. Designate at least 4 hours for this job or give it to me and I will do it for $400.00. The medical bills alone shoud be close to that. I have never shed so much blood doing a job in my life. Make sure your tetnus shots are up to date.

Broken stud on top of valve blade. Caused by overtightening the hex nut on top of the blade directly on top of the rubber bellow.
[attachment=56186]

Homemade Torque Stop. Installed front of engine PTO side. Theres two bolting locations tapped into the block.
[attachment=56188]
[attachment=56189]

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not good:

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206782

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
thats funny. poo missed the boat on not putting this motor in a sled and since then they have been sucking snowdust from everyone else. now they cant even get a motor mount right for this motor. boy could that company screw up any more. atleast they gave up on the 900 twin.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
What's next? I wanna see an XCR 800 in a Dragon with all the updates including cleanfire. Until Polarass comes up with something better, I'll stick with the madness where ever it ends up.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if anyone is suckered into buying slps for the xcr and cant get them two work I think I have an amzing pipe mod for them.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ Put the stock pipes back on did you?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just curious...did they update the mounts on 01 from the factory?? I am seriously thinking about getting one installed.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
put the stock ones back on? silly man. the pipes now have madcow magic in them and now they work like you aint ever seen. after you ride it once you will not say put the stock ones back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any one tune a 01 800 Triple with HSP pipes and heads. My mag side plug seams to be running a bit rich, according to plug color. Other 2 (plugs) are brown as a cardboard box. Drop a jet size or leave it?

Currant jets 460/460/460

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you could drop it but just keep an eye on it if you do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts