Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boys, have any of you experimented with your reg/prem switch for fuel octane? I have only ran mine with reg. fuel on the reg position. I know the older XC 700 and 800's ran amazingly better when you ran reg fuel on the Prem. switch. Risky but I know guys who said it felt like a turbo kicked in???

Just wondering if there is a difference running #1 fuel in these badboys!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
you shouldn't run regular fuel on the premium timing, but you should run premium/premium you'll notice a difference. not worth burning up your motor running regular fuel with premium timing.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know. I wasn't going to try that, i just know guys who have.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
never seen a big difference on the 800. on the trail it really wont matter. did a test when it first came out on the 600's and saw 2 mph gain.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Mine seen regular gas once, middle of no where , then make a left. They only had reg gas, used the swtich then. Was same trip on big northern trails, emptied a tank of gas in about 1.5 hours ehehe.., following the speed limit an all.
Last played with it high test in, 3-5 mph diff, it's suppose to run a differant timing curve I think.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya it advances the timing electronically, which would normally make a motor detonate and knock, but the Prem. fuel prevents that. 3-4 mph? Might be worth it. I'm going to do a 300+ mile weekend coming up so I think i'll try it.

Hey madcow,
I heard people say to take out the rear scissor stops on these to get awsome holeshot, I looked at mine and taking those out would make the suspension collapse into my rear boggy wheels. Am I missing something??

Thanks guys

·
Registered
40 Posts
I typically see a 5 mph top speed difference. I have Hot Seat Performance pipes and V Force reeds. I can feel a difference in acceleration as well as notice that it just seems to have a "crisp" feel and sound using good fuel and set to "premium".

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I ALWAYS use prem fuel, my sled has NEVER seen reg... reg isnt worthy of my sled :D then again i dont have reg/prem switch on my sled.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by boody1981
[br]Ya it advances the timing electronically, which would normally make a motor detonate and knock, but the Prem. fuel prevents that. 3-4 mph? Might be worth it. I'm going to do a 300+ mile weekend coming up so I think i'll try it.

Hey madcow,
I heard people say to take out the rear scissor stops on these to get awsome holeshot, I looked at mine and taking those out would make the suspension collapse into my rear boggy wheels. Am I missing something??

Thanks guys
Taking out the RRSS blocks will allow the suspension to collapse during the holeshot but when it comes to trail riding, it wont ride as nice as if you left the RRSS blocks in. If you have studs, I wouldnt take out the blocks unless if you want to do wheelings all the time for the heck of it. WL.

PS - premium setting will give you extra 5hp across the lake - that came from one of the magazines Ive read back in '00. Thats for the XCR8s so Im not sure about smaller motors.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
W.L. said it well. the rrss in the rear hole will let the sled transfer. once the skis are off the snow you dont want the front end to come up any more than that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts