Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey..

Just got back from a 2 day ride, ( 600 miles)last day the Xcr was missing her passing gear. Took a while to reconize the problem, but seems to be related to throttle postion. Trail riding hardly notice it, but after passing 2/3 to full throttle the rpm would nose off and pull no more than 7000-7200. I could ease up the gas and run quickly up to about 85 and 7 grand, but thumping it down the rpm''s would roll back. It will not hold 8200-8400, any longer than 5-10 seconds, before limping. I also noticed the idle bumped up (3000-3500), I made no changes.
This was tried cold or hot, key in both settings. I had put in 62G (from 60''s) on the front, and it''s a only about 4 rides since. It was running correctly and not assuming the primary, I will pull my secondary to make sure it''s moving correctly . My thoughts is that I have a flat spot on my TPS.. Easy way for me to test it.?

·
Registered
76 Posts
i had a simalar problem with my 2003 ProX 600, we brought it back to polaris. turns out the vent tube that goes from the carb to the air box was kinked and if so the throttle response goes down the drain and wont run top end. thats my only idea.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sounds like your timing is getting rolled back, possibly due to bad or mal adjusted TPS sensor or faulty temp sensor....also check to make sure there are no air leaks around the intake area, and check compression in all three cyclinders, if you have no compression it wont rev and idle may possibly be higher, make sure the drive clutch cover bushing is ok and operating smoothly, a worn or bad bushing will cause a drop in rpms. You may also want to check the buttons in the secondary clutch and make sure its upshifting.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
what you described usually is too fast of an upshift. possible causes are broken primary spring, secondary spring jumped out of the hole. Any binding usually increases rpm. It could be electrical but I doubt it. What do the plugs look like immediately after this occurs.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys..

Plugs are fine, was able to cruise at 80 push her down and hold it, shut it down and pulled the plugs. Nice honey brown, running 430 mains, was -15C. I was also supecting the secondary sticking. Will be working on it tonight.
Carb boots are all in nice shaoe, clamped tight. Did not check compression yet,don't suspect it, runs smooth all over. Will try it on the gauge. Vent tubes are all connected and no kinks.
I'm suspecting timing being moved because of some senssor.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well looked her over again, one of my vent tubes had popped off again on the mag side. I had tied some wires on it and I guess it worked itself off. I had noticed the idle was up a bit, and it settle after the hose was reconnected.
I did check the tps, The sensor is fine, but I think it's out of adjustment. With a source of 4.97 I read 3.4 at WOT. I'm bveing told it need to be 3.77. I just need to get my mitts on a tamper proff torx.
Secondry was nice and clean, put new buttons in it while I had it apart.

·
Registered
76 Posts
does it run good now? or what happend after you put the vent tube back on. cuz that was the same thing that was wrong with mine wouldnt rev and what it does is it controls the pressure in the float bowl and with atmospheric pressure on it it just sucks fuel like crasy and turns dead rich on top. but since you plugged it back on it should be fine, unless it is a faultie tps.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going out for a rip Sunday with the boys, will know tommorrow for sure. I'm positve it's not the tps after watching it with a tester I made up. It' always, varied , no flatspots on the swich.
(hardcoresledder.com/homemade_tps_tester.htm)voltages will vary depending on the model.
I had a high idle the same time I saw the problem, the high idle is now gone while warm.
Thanks for all the tips guys..

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put 200 miles a on yesterday. Did adjust the sensor, with full tilt was only able to see 3.6v. Problem is gone, was definitly the vent tube. My baby's back...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hey where did you go. I trailered to durham and went towards owen sound and around there. awsome conditions. I only got around 130 miles but it was extemely fun. At times the snow was so soft I felt like i was riding my PWC. The 3.77 volts on the TPI is that a Factory spec. Where did you get that info.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two guys on Amsnow pointed me to the voltage, as did my dealer confirm it.
Gez I'm feeling like an old man tonight, was a bit rough in spots. We normally ride around Durham, Mount Forest like I said. where do you drop in Durham?
We trailer and dropped on the NW corner of Barrie and hit B206. Made her up to Bala, and back around. we ended up in Orilia by Mistake and headed back to Coldwater.guys we ran into raved about Phelpston..?, and Wasaga way, groomer were out and busy that way. Severn Falls we hit large Powder along a road and a field, could se the sleds, had to one knee it to see over the wall of snow.
My Buddy Troy had is 98 xcr out, it's really running well with 7000 miles on her.
I need to do something about that spinning... on 200 miles I was 8 miles more than he was.
Got stuck coming back to his driveway last night. He was snowed in today expecting 20 cm and another 15 tonight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts