Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1996 Polaris XCR 600 and I'm registering it, but I need to find out the engine serial number, where is the damn thing? I've looked all over the engine. I know there's supposed to be a sticker or something on the pull-start cover, but the sticker is gone.

·
Registered
892 Posts
In MN, you only need the body serial number which is stamped into the side of the tunnel. Why do you need the engine number to register. Do they keep the Body and Engine stamps together on the registration?

Just asking?

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes2.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because not everybody is fortunate enough to live in MN where it snows constantly and snowmobiles are major transportation. I live in Illinois, and we need to have engine and frame numbers.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Maybe we do to, now that I think of it? Hmm, I cannot remember now.

All I remember was when I had to register the used sled I bought, the number from the tunnel did not mach the registration card, it started with a P and the card said 9, without batting an eye, the lady just changed my registration information.

Evidently you have not been in MN in the last 2 or 3 years. We have been getting about as much snow as Texas.

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes2.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All right, thanks for the information. My cousin says that he has a book he'll let me borrow. I'm just getting frustrated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok everybody. I found a number. I dug a little deeper. What I did is took off my starter cover, and took off my water pump. I found a number on the block, it was: 5802

Does anyone know if this number sounds like the right amount of digits for a serial number, and does it sound like it's in the right location?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Where did you buy your sled? It should have had the serial numbers on the bill of sale. If you bought it privately you could try calling the previous owner to ask if he/she still had it. Just a thought. Oh yeah the number should be on a sticker on the pullstart cover.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
That is not enough digits to be a serial #

I don't know if it's actually stamped in, or if it's just on the sticker that is supposed to be there.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought my sled privately and it's not on the bill of sale. I'm guessing Iowa doesn't use that on their registration? Yeah, I know it should be on the sticker on the pullstart cover-the sticker that isn't there. I kind of though it's not enough numbers, but I already sent in the registration and unless they give me shit about it, it'll be fine. I haven't found ANY other stamped numbers on the engine block at all. I'd figure it's got to be somewhere else on the sled. I'll get that polaris book from my cousin sometime so I can find out where else it should be. I never would have thought that something this stupid would give me such a problem.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i know where it is LOL polaris hides the serial numbers on the motors . my 600 has it stamped inbetween the heads on the block. its like a 12 digit number or something. but most of the time it is stamped into the bottom case half UNDER the motor and would require pulling the engine to get it.
I just thought of something my 80 txl chassis serial number and motor numbers are the same i didnt check on my 600 but i think they are the same too. ill have to look tomorrow

i cant take a day without my polaris Let alone a lifetime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts