Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 slp piped xcr w/ a 94 580 spit its crank this weekend. I need some tips and refernces to reputable crank shops. It needs to be a shop that can update with the wide pto bearing and 4th oiler and weld/balance the crank. Anyone heard of a Pete Nydahl. I heard this guy is VERY reputable and can do everything I need. Anyone know of someone else that might be cheaper than pete or possibly faster as he might be pretty backed up.

I was thinking of boring it out to a 625 with wiseco pistons since my oem's are scored. Any opinions or suggestions with shaving my heads. Just enough so its safe with 91 pump gas or is there a performance gasket available.

What kind of hp gain would I see with bumped compression on an additional 45cc's? Or would this be to much added weight/hp for the crank. I was thinking something like 125-130hp.

This is my first rebuild btw so any help or tips would be GREATLY appreciated :).

Thanks, Dustin

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Your options are only limited by your wallet. There are many motors like yours and newer versions available. If you want to go through getting it rebuilt and modded you will be spending a lot more that if you were to buy a motor ready to drop in, used or otherwise. Many shops have moved on to the newer stuff so finding what you want may be more of a challenge. SLP and some others were making 654 kits back in the day for these motors. They will always be very high strung when modded and require constant rejetting and changes in clutching to keep them performing as they should.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i searched this forum and several others and everyone "majority" recommended indy specialty from welch mn. for polaris crank work. he has the crank from my 05 600 right now. he told me about a week out for turn around time, and id assume this time of year thats about the best turn around anyones gonna find. as for your upgrades i think your spending unneed money. the earlier 580s did not have the pto problem the 95ish ran into. then your gonna have to find the 4th line pump and those usually arent cheap. what rpms are you turning on you xcr.
just boring you motor over isnt gonna return alot of HP. i wold only bore it what you need to remove damage. i think those motors are right around 90-95 hp stock and pipes give 10-12. 125 is gonna be a reach and gonna cost some serious coin, and get more unreliable.
unless youre racing ALOT id just rebuild it the way it was and save the money.
just my suggestions

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigwedgies said:
i searched this forum and several others and everyone "majority" recommended indy specialty from welch mn. for polaris crank work. he has the crank from my 05 600 right now. he told me about a week out for turn around time, and id assume this time of year thats about the best turn around anyones gonna find. as for your upgrades i think your spending unneed money. the earlier 580s did not have the pto problem the 95ish ran into. then your gonna have to find the 4th line pump and those usually arent cheap. what rpms are you turning on you xcr.
just boring you motor over isnt gonna return alot of HP. i wold only bore it what you need to remove damage. i think those motors are right around 90-95 hp stock and pipes give 10-12. 125 is gonna be a reach and gonna cost some serious coin, and get more unreliable.
just my suggestions
I'm running slp's that peak at 9,200. I talked to quite a few crank shops yesterday slp,norther crank,crank shop,my local delership and my local small engine repair shop. They all told me that welding will do now good, just add weight to the crank. They said that the center is what twists out of time not the rod pins, and there is know way to weld the center once its pressed together. The only way to "strengthen" it is to replace the old pin and use loctite to liquid weld the new one. Even then, they still twist. The only thing I can do is the pto bearing update. All that insures is a lil longer life out of the bearing. Nothing will stop the crank from twisting especialy with pipes,aggressive gearing and clutching,studs,blowing belts, piston/bearing seizures, stator explodes ect... But I'll call indy and see what they say. Thanks btw

Either way though, its going to cost any were from 700-900 for a complete motor rebuild that I have to detune anyway, LAME. I could just go find a used motor for 350-450 and sell the pipes for 200. Then find a 650 or 680 to stuff in there. Ive herd over and over that the old 600/650's and the 680's could handle 130+ hp piped no problem.

BTW...

To anyone that wants to mod an xlt (xtra lazy timebomb)

DONT DO IT!!!!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Hey man, we'll go CL'n and find one some guy wants to sell cheap. Every once and a while, back when I was crazy into sleds, I would find people who didn't know what they had and thought it was an "old sled taking up space" and to get it out of their garage for a couple hundred bucks because it needed so many minor repairs. I'll ask around too, word of mouth or asking is one of the main reasons I've gotten so many good deals now that everyone knows about craigslist.
By the way, I fixed my recoil today and put in that other motor mount bolt, that was a pain in the ass and took me about 10 beers, mostly because I was pissed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pete is the guy, had him do several cranks for me. Great guy
I talked to pete, but hey said hey had no way of keying or pining the center so there would be no grantee of it not sliping again. All he can do is loctite it and cross his fingers basically.

just my suggestions
I also talked to Dave at Indy specialties and they can key and pin the crank, but its $600 just to key it and another 200-350 to rebuild it. But he asked what happend, I said the crank locked up and then it broke lose after rocking the clutch, I thought it was maybe a recoil issue. Then I started it up no problem but then quite a few seconds after and seized again. He said thats were I did the damage, he said once it seized the first time and then cooled down and broke lose you should have left it and got the trailer. Theirs a good chance that the second time it most likely welded the bearing to the pto shaft and will need to be replaced now. He said, usualy when they lock up the first time that the crank didn't twist if your lucky, just the bearing seized. But hey said that onve there keyed and pto bearing updated their pretty stout. To make a long story short I think its going to cost more than its worth to make this crank relible to 120hp or more. And in the end its still a piston port mono block w/ round slides. I would be better of with an ultra or xcr 800 motor.

Hey man, we'll go CL'n and find one some guy wants to sell cheap. Every once and a while, back when I was crazy into sleds, I would find people who didn't know what they had and thought it was an "old sled taking up space" and to get it out of their garage for a couple hundred bucks because it needed so many minor repairs. I'll ask around too, word of mouth or asking is one of the main reasons I've gotten so many good deals now that everyone knows about craigslist.
By the way, I fixed my recoil today and put in that other motor mount bolt, that was a pain in the ass and took me about 10 beers, mostly because I was pissed.
Hey jeff, yea recoils can be a b*tch sometimes, but yea keep your eye's or ears open for a running xlt motor or preferably an ultra. Although I might check out the 96 psi piped ultra on cl here in town for $1,200 this sun or mon, you should come with if you can. Even though I don't want another sled, cuz we both know I barely have room for the junk I got, but a $1000 for 160 hp is very tempting.

Btw, I found your face mask, it was in my tool box for some reason. You also left a half a 12pack in my fridge [beerbelly] It was tasty haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts