Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just wondering what are peoples views on xenon headlights, are they actually alot brighter, or am i just wasting my money?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
They are alittle brighter. They also run hotter. Go to walmart and buy somesilver stars. They work great on the snow, brighter, cheap and they don't burn the switches out like the britelites do.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean by burn switches out?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
On my pro x I ran britelites and the lites drawed too much juice and actually got the solder warm enough that it fell out with the wires so I had no contact points. Which in turn left me with no lights.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess it comes down to the wattage of the light. the ones im getting are 60/55W, so as not to burn them out. also i dont think my sled will support much more. im guessing you used the 100/80W ones?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by polarispimpman500
[br]i guess it comes down to the wattage of the light. the ones im getting are 60/55W, so as not to burn them out. also i dont think my sled will support much more. im guessing you used the 100/80W ones?
Yes I did, tech at bluhm said it was alright to run, boy was he wrong. I love the silver stars they are great. I had blue one they did nothing. The silver stars really bring out the different terrain. I few guys I know also run 1 yellow bulb says it really helps in fog/snow dust.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think i might go with the xenon lights for now, because im getting all three for a good deal. i would buy silver star ones because i have lights by them on my truck, but are harder to find in my area. do you think they blue tint from the xenon would eluminate the terrain as well or better than the yellow bulbs?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
No. I noticed no gain from the blue to the white, My only gain though short was the higher wattage.

The silver stars offer a true white light over the yellowish tint that the stockers provide.

Have you checked your polaris dealer. They have them but are alittle more expensive. Most autoparts stores carry them also.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my auto parts stores when looking for them, said they have never carried them nor will they order them, nice guys eh. well hopefully they will last longer than yours. i suppose my only real reason for getting them is, i like to change my lights every 2 years.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
A little overkill don't ya think. The lights last a long time.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xcr440 that could be true with the over kill part, and im one to admit that. ive just have always had problems with lights after 2 seasons of riding, personal preference thats all.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Aren't these just regular bulbs filled with Xenon gas? Or are you getting the full setup with the ballasts and everything to ignite them?

We've had the same discussion on one of the car forums I belong to and the general concensus was the same. The Xenon filled bulbs give you like 10% more light and cost a ton more - they're more for looks and to say you have Xenon bulbs (but they really aren't). And I think the Xenon gas makes them last a little longer than being vaccum'd.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i beleive they are regualar bulbs with xenon gas in them, well im assuming that much. im not paying much more than the regular shelf price of plane white lights. is it true xenon lights have a blue tint to them, but more so then the halogine ones?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i honestly couldn't tell you. ive seen them on buddy's sleds but im unsure of that their wattage was, im going to be getting 60/55W for the center, and then i have no idea of the outside two.

im getting the xenon lights seen in the royaldistributing book. they arn't like care lights, the design and the base is different

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my stock wattage is 200 so do you think i might be able to get the larger wattage bulbs? or would i just end up burning them out like xcr440?

edit...

my headlight wattage right now is 2-37.5w for highbeam, and the center one is 60w

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Are you sure? Every sled I've owned or seen has taken some form of car light. From sealed beams, etc. I think my sled takes an H1? H7? I dunno I haven't bought any yet. In fact I think all the lights on my sled - tail, brake, head, guage etc are all auto lights. I know all my older sleds used 168's in the tail with an 1157 stop/tail. With the plethora of automobile lights I don't know why they'd make new models for a sled.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 37 Posts