Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some quick help. Does anyone have a pic of a clutch puller for an XLT. I have the right tool but its two pieces and i need to how it goes together for sure. I am having problems getting the clutch off i just want to make sure im doing it right.
Even if someone could discribe it in detail that would be great. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I would take a picture of mine for you but I can't seem to find my puller. But here's what it should look like. Got this off Google.

[attachment=59556]

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep thats the one ive got but its two pieces, i dont understand why i can get this clutch off. Thanks for your help, im just gonna have to keep trying.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What I've always done to get my clutch off was to thread in the puller as much as it would go. Then I would gently tap it with a rubber mallet and then try to thread the puller in more. After doing this a few times, the clutch poped off. Also make sure you put some grease on the threads of the puller.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On the 2 piece puller you drop the small extension into the clutch with the round end towards the engine and the cupped end out towards you. It is a good idea to put a dab of grease or oil on the ends. Lubricate the threads of the other part of the puller and thread it into the clutch and tighten it as tight as you can. Hit the end with a hammer and it should pop off. If it still won't budge then get some teflon tape from your local hardware/plumbing store and wrap it around the threads of the puller. Tip the sled over on it's side so that the clutch is facing up. Insert the extension and pour water into the clutch hole until it is almost full. Now insert the threaded piece with the tape on it and tighten it. The hydraulic action of the water will pop it off without too much effort.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
my 95 xlt took a 3/4 impact and a acetylene torch to get it off. i did all the tricks, water, grease hammer, sledge hammer, 1/2 impact nothing was getting it. only thing is you have to be very careful with heat, but i was doing the seals anyways. just keep working at it, it will come off eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts