Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the name of the member who had the XLT crank case mod photos in his gallery i plan on doing so but would like to see how a few others did it first to get the idea of what is best for me so if anyone knows let me know THANX

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just my thoughts on the subject of the Polaris tripples. I did a lot of investigating after rebuilding one with a rebuilt crank new rods and pistons and having it go under 200 miles and spin the bearing in the case. The extra oil line did help some but did not fix the initial cause of the problem.
If you take the bottom half apart make sure to check the main bearing bores. The Polaris tripples tend to oblong the crankcase on the PTO side. This is what causes them to tear up the bearings. It is not caused by not having the extra oil line as many people think. Polaris put the extra oil line in as a fix and they still had some with the same problems.
This is just the information I found after hours and hours of research and conversations with a couple of performance engine builders.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
That effects the 600 mono-block, not any of the other polaris triples.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bgkid2966 said:
Just my thoughts on the subject of the Polaris tripples. I did a lot of investigating after rebuilding one with a rebuilt crank new rods and pistons and having it go under 200 miles and spin the bearing in the case. The extra oil line did help some but did not fix the initial cause of the problem.
If you take the bottom half apart make sure to check the main bearing bores. The Polaris tripples tend to oblong the crankcase on the PTO side. This is what causes them to tear up the bearings. It is not caused by not having the extra oil line as many people think. Polaris put the extra oil line in as a fix and they still had some with the same problems.
This is just the information I found after hours and hours of research and conversations with a couple of performance engine builders.
well i sure hope it isnt tha bad i am confident that when i replace the crank it should be ok but just to be sure what would be a good route to go in finding out if my case has this problem

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
It's amazingly easy. Buy a new bearing and force it in by hand.. Turn the CC upside-down, and if the bearing falls out, replace the case. [thumb]

I kid you not, here's the page from the Polaris manual with those specific instructions.

201032218202514_18890.jpg

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i read it but just so im sure do i put the halves together and the put the bearing in through the rod hole or do i just shove it in half and flip it over to see?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Just shove it into the case half and flip it over.

If you clamp the case you crush the bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts