Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed plugs and rebuilt the fuel pump but it doesnt seem to be getting fuel pulled it over prolly 100 times and finaly it started but was bogging really bad i pressurized the pump aswell only to get a little burp start nothing since but bloody knuckles

·
Registered
66 Posts
ive said this before and youve probably seen it but i ordered a fuel pump kit out of dennis kirk and the diaphram things were black instead of clear like the normal ones, but when i put the new kit in i would put so much fuel into the carbs it would just keep going in the cylinders and flood it out so i would have to torch them out. your problem was similiar to mine, i would pull forever with no results. i was just wondering if that might be it or if anyone else has had this problem cause i think that i got the high flow pump kit, which i didn't need.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
95XLTSP said:
ive said this before and youve probably seen it but i ordered a fuel pump kit out of dennis kirk and the diaphram things were black instead of clear like the normal ones, but when i put the new kit in i would put so much fuel into the carbs it would just keep going in the cylinders and flood it out so i would have to torch them out. your problem was similiar to mine, i would pull forever with no results. i was just wondering if that might be it or if anyone else has had this problem cause i think that i got the high flow pump kit, which i didn't need.
Mine were clear in the kit just like the ones in the fuel pump orignaly we checked spark and fuel line in take took filter off inline tank and cleaned it even tryed it with out it on the tank line even tryed new plugs im skunked

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
using a 10mm socket remove the plugs on the bottom of the block under the exaust ports to check for flooding.what is the compression on the motor? way too many varibles without information here.

·
Registered
192 Posts
try putting a couple drops of gas down each cylinder and see if it fires then, if it does then you know its not getting fuel

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bobinwi said:
using a 10mm socket remove the plugs on the bottom of the block under the exaust ports to check for flooding.what is the compression on the motor? way too many varibles without information here.
ive heard xlt's are sposed to be over 100 but 120 is perfect but mine are 110 all the way across and its no big deal. if i was him i would just torch out the cylinders. get a oxyacetylene torch just put the flame across the 3 cylinders and have someone else turn it over. if you have flames, etc. coming out of the engine you obviously are flooding out, but removing the plugs on the bottom end works too

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
95XLTSP said:
Bobinwi said:
ive heard xlt's are sposed to be over 100 but 120 is perfect but mine are 110 all the way across and its no big deal. if i was him i would just torch out the cylinders. get a oxyacetylene torch just put the flame across the 3 cylinders and have someone else turn it over. if you have flames, etc. coming out of the engine you obviously are flooding out, but removing the plugs on the bottom end works too
rebuilt the fuel pump yet again and everything looks good however i think i found the culprit i think its my vacum line how to i check this???

·
Registered
66 Posts
95-xlt-600-special said:
95XLTSP said:
Bobinwi said:
rebuilt the fuel pump yet again and everything looks good however i think i found the culprit i think its my vacum line how to i check this???
ive never had this problem personally but if its a vacuum line i would just turn the motor over and if its got a vacuuming effect on the hose after you disconnect it i would say it works, but then again i really have no clue on how to check that. but that would make sense but you could unhook your fuel lines from your carbs and see if the have a consistent amount of gas coming out of them too, that would be another way to kinda sorta test it i think?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
95XLTSP said:
95-xlt-600-special said:
95XLTSP said:
Bobinwi said:
ive never had this problem personally but if its a vacuum line i would just turn the motor over and if its got a vacuuming effect on the hose after you disconnect it i would say it works, but then again i really have no clue on how to check that. but that would make sense but you could unhook your fuel lines from your carbs and see if the have a consistent amount of gas coming out of them too, that would be another way to kinda sorta test it i think?
Also when i checked the plugs the only one i could smell gas on was the same side as the fuel pump i even put the gas line directly on to one of the nipples (far right cylinder) and it burped started

·
Registered
278 Posts
Are you sure all the lines are hooked up to the proper nipples on the fuel pump? If they are mixed up, that could be your problem!

I know it's a long shot, but who knows!

Mike

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
95XLTSP said:
if i was him i would just torch out the cylinders. get a oxyacetylene torch just put the flame across the 3 cylinders and have someone else turn it over. if you have flames, etc.
That's a good way to burn down your shop, a nice geyser of flaming fuel spraying everywhere if it's really flooded...

Whoever you heard that idea from, you should slap them with a 2x4. [xx(]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
95XLTSP said:
if i was him i would just torch out the cylinders. get a oxyacetylene torch just put the flame across the 3 cylinders and have someone else turn it over. if you have flames, etc.
That's a good way to burn down your shop, a nice geyser of flaming fuel spraying everywhere if it's really flooded...

Whoever you heard that idea from, you should slap them with a 2x4. [xx(]
i did this outside im not that stupid. but if it happens again im just going to drain the bottom end just because i haven't got to do that with this motor yet.

msh93xlt said:
Are you sure all the lines are hooked up to the proper nipples on the fuel pump? If they are mixed up, that could be your problem!

I know it's a long shot, but who knows!

Mike
it might be a long shot but its very possible, i mean my fuel pump when i got it wasnt put together right and i was stumped why i wasnt even getting fuel at all, it couldve happened when you rebuilt your pump

·
Registered
35 Posts
put your hand over the carbs one at a time while the plugs are out and pull it over, see if you are drawing vaccuum on each cylinder, mine did the same thing, and I have no suction on the clutch side cyl and compression seems good, didn't get a gage on it yet

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
this may sound dumb but is your gas line on? ive done this before and thought id ask.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
if you put your thumb over the end of the vacuum line and pull it over you should feel it.i would remove the nipple from the block and reseal it and reinstall. could be an air leak at the nipple on the block. and ofcourse replace the line

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
polarisripper28 said:
this may sound dumb but is your gas line on? ive done this before and thought id ask.
Yes it is......Anyone have a diagram on how the fuel lines get put on so i can double check and make sure the lines are on right??? my old neighbor thinks its gunk in the carbs but my carbs were cleaned not even 500 miles ago and i also have a inline fuel filter (under the airbox) i looked in the tank and seen the filter was off of the gas line so i put it back on and cleaned it out

·
Registered
66 Posts
95-xlt-600-special said:
polarisripper28 said:
Yes it is......Anyone have a diagram on how the fuel lines get put on so i can double check and make sure the lines are on right??? my old neighbor thinks its gunk in the carbs but my carbs were cleaned not even 500 miles ago and i also have a inline fuel filter (under the airbox) i looked in the tank and seen the filter was off of the gas line so i put it back on and cleaned it out
simple as ever dont need a diagram. from tank theyll go through your filter, then through the shut off valve then right into your pump. from there the pump will come off look on the back of the pump and it'll show you where your outlet and inlet nipples are. the one thats on the part of the pump that sticks out is obviously your vacuum line and the others are labeled it should b like that. your filter was off of the gas line? what?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts