Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 93 xlt/sks with a 580, all stock. this thing stuggles to catch rpm until about 5000rpm, then the primary slaps in at about 6000,. then it runs like a champ. BUT it runs at 9200 rpm. STOCK! the clutching is all set un per the book, and all i did was back the tension off the secondary spring, that brought it down to 9000. i take it the clutches won't work right if the engine isn't running right(just like a car if the engine runs like crap the tranny won't shift right). with the aifbox off and rev it up u can see it sputter fuel vapor out the pto cyl. pretty good, and a little out the middle. then at 5000 is ok.compression is all good, and i used a degree wheel to make sure the crank was in phase(all within 2 degrees)i read needles and seats could cause this? kinda floods it but not enough to kill it?any ideas?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
clutch alignment correct?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right on the money. when i put the engine together i put the stator fight in the alignment marks.i've also checked the time and it was about 4 degrees too advanced, so i backed it down, now its 2 degrees off, but within specs unless my altitude troughs it off. 9600ft

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm playing with the jetting right now.sittng there idling and hammer the throttle wide open it winds up a little, starts bogging, losing rpm, and would probly die if i didnt let off. now if you milk it a bit and let it catch some rpm first, then itll run its butt off. am i too rich, or lean. and what part. main?needle position?pilot? this is without the belt on, so clutch is ruled out, and timing is right on. any ideas? would like to get it right before i put pipes on so im not fighting two probs.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Are you sure the clutching is all stock, with 9200 RPM I'm thinking it was pipes at one time or someting. Also if the secondary or primary has oil on the shafts they ride on this can also cause this condition. What will happen is the secondary will open right up due to lack of friction and then load up the primary until it builds RPM and then launches. I did this with my RXL last year on accident. I recleaned the secondary and it was all good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts