Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Xlt has always been kind of hard to start unless I shut off the gas. I did a search and came up with needles and seats , so Saturday I changed the needles and seats. Changing them has helped with some of my issues.My plugs are now always dry and are a perfect color.Before they were always wet and looked black all the time . but My problem still exsists .If we are out on the trail and stop for a break for 15 or 20 min It is real hard to start I have to feather the gas to get it going once it starts it idles fine and runs perfect. Yesterday we stopped and I had to pull it about 6 times with a buddy working the gasto get it going.I thought it was flooding so I pulled the plugs and they were perfect and dry.I am not sure what to look at next. I would think if the fuel pump was bad it wouldn't run at all .Once I get it going it is perfect lots of power and runs great.Stop for a break and that is where the trouble is. All 3 cylynders are good and fireing The pistons are good ,compression is good.It almost seems like there isn't enough fuel there to start again once it stops.I have replaced all the fuel lines including the bowl drain lines.The new needles and seats have cured my overfueling issues and plug fouling issues but didn't really help with my starting issue.Any ideas would be great .Thanks guys.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
How much compression do you have?

My xcr 600 was like that. Have you tried using half choke for a second or 2, It worked with mine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No pipes bone stock except for slp heads. compresion is 128 per cylinder .I necver touched the chokes. Could it be that the chokes were adjusted to compensate for the bad needles and seats ?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
could be someone adjusted them improperly, could be cable stretched over time, could be theyre dirty. just one thing to check.

·
Registered
388 Posts
How far open are your slides adjusted to?

I've seen problems starting when the sldes weren't open enough. Should be around 7mm open. Use a drill to check.

I would also check to make sure the throttle lever is not loose. If it is the safety switch circuit may not be closed until you are feathering the throttle.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I would readjust the chokes...

[attachment=51463]

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 96 XCR and seem to be having the same problem, I have more major problems at the moment but when it was running it ran great until we stopped for a break and let it cool for about 10-20 minutes and then it was the same scenario, buddy would have to work the throttle just to get it going again. I was also curious which problems changing the needles and seats helped cure.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
pistonburner. the problem youre having should clear up by changing needles and seats. this is a very common problem on that motor.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Try this....

My XLT does the same thing all the time, everything has been checked and is fine.

Leave the kill switch OFF... don't touch anything. Pull the starter once.

Turn sled on, 1/4 throttle, pull. It should start right up.

If you don't follow this exactly on mine and about 5 of my friends XLT 600's you'll pretty much give the entire group a chance to pull before it'll start.

My carbs are fine, sync is fine, choke adjustments verified. Polaris dealer was the one that gave me the above procedure and 99.9% of the time it works.

If the sled has been sitting more than an hour or so, if it doesn't start on the first pull after turning on the ignition, give it half choke, it should start on the next pull.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Similar problem with Ultra, Xlt works first pull. So, not sled related. Not a choke problem. http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64379

Maybe someone will post to me and it will help you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts