Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright last year I burnt out 2 headlights throughout the winter so I went out today and bought another one that cost me 14 dollers, it is the rite watts. So I start up my sled so I turn the light on it works fine. Then after about a 30 secends it got super bright like a power surge and burnt out. Could someone tell me how I could I fix it, because I need a light I do a lot of night riding.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Your voltage regulator could be bad. I had this happen on my old '91 Indy Trail last year. Put new halogens in, and everytime they would get bright and then bang, dead. I believe a new regulator costed me around $15 from my dealer.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I have one from a '95 XCR and one from a '94 XLT... probably the same thing as you have. Let me know if you want one... I'd ship it to you for $10

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
first, make sure you have good ground too. with the sled running, do a volt check.
1. Position the snowmobile so the ski tips are placed against a stationary object and raise the rear sled off ground.

2. open shroud and secure so it wont bang your cranium.

3.set voltmeter to the 25 AC volt scale

4.Connect one voltmeter wire to the regulator wire while leaving regulator wire connected. Insert the voltmeter lead through the vvoltage regulator plastic connector cover until it contacts the regulator terminal.

5. start sled and increase rpm to 3000 rpm.

6. If voltmeter reads more than 15 volts, remove regulator, clean terminals and retest. If voltage is still above 16, replace regulator.

this is condensed but right out of Clymers book

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I will see how much a new regulater is if is alot of money ill give you ten bucks for it 95xcr600. And I dont have a voltmeter to check if its bad but i will just replace it. I will tell you tomorrow if I need it shiped. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.