Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we went rinding in Old Forge this weekend and it was great. We were coming back from the Inlet to Indian Lake loop and I was cruising down the trail when all of a sudden the red temp light was staring me in the face.

I quickly stopped the machine and opened the hood to see the steam and antifreeze coming out of the shaft on the water pump. We let the sled cool off and refilled the coolant system. I wanted to try to limp a little closer to home.

Got about a 1/4 mile and the sled shut itself off...can't pull the rope. I figure the engine is smoked. Get towed home jump on my 500 and continue riding the weekend out.

Well I'm thinkin the motor is done. Then I slept on it and thought there is no way the engine got that hot in a 1/4 mile. I went out and put my hand on the water pump pully and pull the rope...belt moves, pully doesn't.

Boy was I relieved to find out it was just the water pump that seized. I will be doing a compression test to see if engine got hurt bad, bolting a water pump on, and I'm going riding this weekend.

Just wanted to share my story...I was sick thinkin my sled was toast, but it looks like it's gonna be ok. I'm assuming that the 220+ degree steam coming out the water pump shaft cleaned all the grease off the bearings and bushings in there causing it to seize a 1/4 mile later.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
you could be lucky. ihave had motors overheat and lock up and when they cooled they pulled right over with no piston damage(well besides a little scuffing) and ran fine after that. if anything youll just have to hone the cylinders and replace pistons and rings and gaskets along with the water pump

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ahhh, That's nice to hear!

I'm not sure the motor ever locked. I shut it off the first time I saw the temp light. It started right after the original overheat with no problem and died 1/4 mile later. I still can't get the water pump to budge. I'll be taking the water pump belt off tomorrow to see if I can pull it over. Right now it is really hard to pull with the belt skidding in the seized water pump pulley...but you can kind of pull the rope.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts