Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 xlt ltd, needs some work on the ski's. they are very loose and sloppy. I was going to align them and realized I can take the tips and move then in and out probably 2 inches or more. I didn't have time to remove them but seems like the bolt hole in the ski might be worn a bit but most of the wobble might be coming from the bolt going thru the spindle arm itself. (the part that the ski bolt goes thru) I know their is the rubber seat as well which might be worn also. the spindle does not move or twist but the ski does.
what would be the best options on this and just how much wobble is acceptable on the ski.
if the hole in the spindle is worn, can I just drill it out for a larger bolt or will it need to be replaced? would new rubber seats help?
all the links and steering look to be fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
those skies are metal right?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes metal skis, with plastic skins.
the bolt was seized so I couldn't get them off, I will need some time and Heat to get them off or I may just cut the bolt off!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
If you don't mind spending a couple of bucks, upgrade to plastic skis. They are worth it. You might want to think about these too:
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=&catId=&productId=p121772&leafCatId=&mmyId=

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Cut the bolt, just remember to replace it with a grade 8.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Sawzall it off! And also remember to grease both the bolt and the grease zerk on the spindle

·
Registered
814 Posts
There's a guy in the swap meet section trying to sell some polaris plastic skis for $110. That's a pretty good deal and a great upgrade for that XLT.

·
Registered
66 Posts
there is a bushing that goes through the spindle that could need replacing. As I recall the 1997 model year was the first year that the plastic ski was the stock ski for the XLT model. the 1996 had an aluminum ski that Polaris replaced through a recall. Missed it by one month.

·
Registered
463 Posts
you can get new-used spindles on ebay for dirt cheap for that sled! right now SLP has thier ultra-lite skis on sale 50% off, thats what i run on my xlt and they are a huge improvemet over the stockers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts