Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting crank seals in a xlt and I can't for the life of me get the magneto off... I'm using a puller and I've been soaking it with penetro 90 but still can't get off.

Any help would be great...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
There have been many flywheels paining my ass over the years. One time I was trying to get one off a crank that was bad, but it would not budge, even broke the puller. We ended having to throw away the whole lower end, even though the flywheel and stator were good

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
put tension on the puller, and let it sit for just a bit, then give the puller a good crack with a hammer, smack the end of the bolt on the puller.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. A real pain in the ass to get off. I ended up making a heavy-duty puller and even then it's tough to get off. You could do what bigwedgies said, but be careful to not hit it too hard as the magnets are just epoxied on.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
mvvette97 said:
My XLT was the same way. I ended up putting as much pressure on the puller as I could then took one of those little propane torches and put a little hean on the center of the flywheel. Just enough to make it expand a little off the crank. She popped right off
That trick usually works good. As stated above I find that putting as much torque on the puller as possible, let it sit a while and a good smack in the right spot gets her off. You do have to be careful though, again as stated above the magnets are just glued in place. Sometimes I let them sit overnight and the next morning I come back and magically it's off. [thumb]

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I've heated them when needed also. No problems with melting the glue for the magnets. One of the keys is to make sure you have the puller on straight, and go to the local hardware store and get some grade 12 bolts. They are like an M10 metric thread, or M10 or M8, I can't remember. You'll need them to be about 2 inches long.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
put a little heat to it and it came off with a little tapping with the hammer, thanks guys...

Now the bad news is it's got a bad pto bearing too...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts