Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey on my 1994 xlt rmk i was doin some hillclimbing this weekend and it has been kinda jerking forward and back when i am stopped and just starting to give it gas, also when i started hillclimbing after ahwhile a thumping sound started coming from under my hood on the left side, and so i thought it was a belt, so i looked and my belt was fine, and its not that old either and when i would go my rpm's would get up high but i was only going like 40 mph. Then i was hillclimbing and sum guy was coming down it so i turned around and half way around all of a sudded i stopped and when i gave it gas it didnt go anywhere and all this smoke came out, so i got off and rocked it and then it went so whats up?My track sprockets look fine and my track is at the right tension.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
How long have you had/riden this sled? I would say the smoke was definately coming from your belt if your track wasn't spinning at that point in time. So that tells me your primary clutch was spinning, but your secondary wansn't. That means the problem lies some where between (and including) your secondary clutch and the track. Again assuming the belt is ok.

I'd get your sled up on a stand (make sure its all clean of snow and ice) and really look over the entire track and skid frame for anything unusual, like rips in the track, missing or jamed idler wheels, hyfax deformities track alignment, etc. Run the sled while its suspended too and listen for anything out of the ordinary. Going to need some additional info for this one.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I'm going to venture to guess that either you have some bad binding going on in your driveline, or something in your belt/clutches is messed up.

-Dean

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well my track is fine, and so is my belt,my sprockets r good and there is still a thumping sound, i have heard of these button things in my clutch, what do those do and could those be warn out, i had ridden a good 600 miles this year,aslo it is starting to engage kinda hard so i am thinking it could be those buttons also were in my clutch r they located?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would check your driveaxle and jackshaft bearings on the left side. If the drive axle bearing goes the speedo usually quits working. Also check your chain tension.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do you have any studs or any type of cleats in your track? my brother had a stud rip half way out and was knocking on his tunnel when ever he went over 30 and it sounded like it was comming from under the handle bars. as for the smoke i would go with replacing the buttions.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I agree with these guys.

I would also pull the cover off your chain case and make sure the 2 sprockets and chain are still good. Look for any teeth that may have been chipped off and jammed in the chain due to a loose chain or bent axle. That's one possibility of why your track locked up suddenly, and you rocked it back and forth to get it to loosen up. Faulty bearings can jam up and cause this also. Check all the bearings on the jack shaft as well as the lower drive shaft. Wiggle them and look for excess play.

Harsh clutch engagement could also be a dirty primary clutch. Blow out the belt dust with compressed air. You could have worn bushings, buttons, rollers or anything that could be binding the clutch, causing a higher rpm to get it to engage. ( = harsh engagement) Remember, do not oil or grease anything on the clutches.

There's actually buttons in both clutches, but i'm unclear as to which one you meant. The teflon buttons in the secondary clutch are a normal wear item, but i doubt that is the problem. If they are worn too much, you'll notice a very slow backshift when hitting the throttle and a loss in performance.

Like was already said. I'd first check your track and suspension for the problem. Put it on a stand, and just grab the track with your hand and spin it. Listen for strange sounds as it may lead you to the problem. This has helped me more than once in the past. Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well my dad is gonna take it into the shop, i want 2 open up my chain case but he says no just let the shop take care of it, i think it could be a broken tooth cuz thats prob why i would feel it jump,but still you would think that the chain work just totally jam or sumthing at high speeds and my dipstick magnent has no metal shavings on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also i was thinking, it was kinda hot that day and we were hillclimbing a lot and i could feel the heat comeing from my motor,could i have heated up the belt so much that it streched?And maybe the thumping sound was the belt slapping the guard?If so couldnt a loose belt slip and cause the rpm's to be high but the speed 2 be low cuz it is just slipping?It was real hot, the belt was real hot 2 the touch.I havnt had a chance to change the belt cuz the last trip we were hillclimbing and i blew a belt so i had no spare.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Your pretty much right. Your belt should be warm or a little hot. That is part of the inefficiency of a CVT system. Your belt is warm from the friction, so that's normal. Plus, hill climbing adds even more stress to it. The thumping sound could not be from a loose belt, but instead a belt that is failing and parts of it are peeling off and hitting the guard as it spins. The belt should not stretch much because of all the Kevlar cord reinforcement within it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok well the belt is fine as in what shape its in but it could be the wrong size belt, because it feels loose and my dad let his friend borrow my spare and then later on he gave it back 2 me, the one i am using now, maybe he gave me the wrong one cuz it sure does feel loose.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
should have like 1" of play when it's in the clutches. IE, press down in the center, and if it moves much more than 1", it is too loose.

-Dean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts