Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotta go with XLT monoblocks. They are lighter and therefore faster if both types of motors are modified to the same level.

·
Registered
591 Posts
xlt's do not respond to modifications like a 650 does, the 650 has ten times more potential than an xlt motor. A 650 with pipes will blow away an xlt with pipes. I have owned both, and the xlt is best enjoyed in stock form

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I like the XLT's, but if I wanted to push a lot more power I'd go with the trip/trip motor. Horse a piece.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would have to say polaris ultra motor is the most amount of power in the 600's. They are a high horse power motor but if tuned right.

·
Registered
718 Posts
don't the monoblocks have better cooling than others tho? just a thought.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
If you race-build a 600 monoblock and a 600 modular motor to the same level, the modular motor will out-last the monoblock by at least 50% on mileage.

The monoblocks are not very sturdy motors, yet the modular bottom end can take up to an 800 top end from the factory, and up to 1200 top end after market...

Now you know why the monoblock went away years before the modular motors did.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the xlt is based off the 600/650. it repsonnds to mods well but lacks strength. you have to mod the heck out of a monoblock to make the same power of the case reed.

I am using the case reed bottom end in my 1000 so that says enough about there strength

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
If you race-build a 600 monoblock and a 600 modular motor to the same level, the modular motor will out-last the monoblock by at least 50% on mileage.

The monoblocks are not very sturdy motors, yet the modular bottom end can take up to an 800 top end from the factory, and up to 1200 top end after market...

XLT 600 motors lasted until 2000, but the 600 modular motors only lasted until 1998. Only the giant XCR 800s outlasted the XLT.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
XLTriumph said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

XLT 600 motors lasted until 2000, but the 600 modular motors only lasted until 1998. Only the giant XCR 800s outlasted the XLT.
The 600 and 800 are the same blocks (aka modular).. [thumb] They lasted till 2003.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
They are the same cranks except for the pto wheel is different.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Reliability.....It is hard to beat the 93-94 580 monoblocks. Just leave them stock and enjoy

you will get passed by the groomer though....no speed demons but reliable

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I would much rather replace on jug rather than a monoblock. Doo brought back the monoblock in the 800r, wise choice since doo is selling more $1100 monoblocks than $400 jugs...

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
ha!
i like the modular design as well.
make a torque plate ontop and rigid them up!

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
The Ultra is BY FAR my favorite triple motor.
Case reed bottom end is as bullet proof as any,
There are several 800 plus cc kits for them that do work well,
They run like a raped ape with the PSI Mod Blasters on them,
and in my opinion they are just plain better motors than the XLT600s

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I see everyone's points with the bigger triples, but my intention with this topic was to compare the 600 XLT monoblock motor to the 600 modular motor. Sure the Ultras and Storms may be faster and/or better, but I was comparing one 600 triple motor to another 600 triple.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ok so you say 600 vs 600. The Mono block 600 with high ports and 38 MM carbs is a had grenade in stock form. Add mods to it and its an A bomb. The 600 XCR SP or 3x3 Is poorly tuned in stock form primarily because it uses 800 pipes but it will last for ever. Mod the pipes properly with reduced stinger or put proper pipes on it and tune it and it is wicked fast and reliable. There are thing you can do to the mono to help it like extra pto bearing or 4 line oil pump but frankly I was scared of my mono block when I owned it.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
XLTriumph said:
Okay, I see everyone's points with the bigger triples, but my intention with this topic was to compare the 600 XLT monoblock motor to the 600 modular motor. Sure the Ultras and Storms may be faster and/or better, but I was comparing one 600 triple motor to another 600 triple.
You neglected my original post.. Read it again.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Yeah he missed a lot of info.
Like stated the xlt in stock form is a good engine that’s good for high milage. Great little trail engine that makes ok power.
But compared to a 600 case reed its in a completely different league.

The case reed is factory triple pipes with a lot more beef in the bottom end.

Take a stock 98 xlt and a stock 98 xcr 600 and go drag race them, short runs long runs top speed runs down the ditch or trail. In most of the cases other than tight corner after tight corner the 600 aggressive chassis sled is a clear winner by a large margin. I had a piped xlt and my buddy had a stock 600 with 97 updates. It was no comparison after 500 feet. I could beat him in 500 feet but after that he walked by and kept walking away. Out on the lake with fresh snow I would top out at about 80 mph and he could blow my decals right off when he went buy. And mine was piped. He simply destroyed the other stock xlts in the group.

I took about an inch out of the center and head pipe on the xcr 600 case reed and ran it at the 8500 mark, that sucker ran strong and fast. Had zero problems beating an 800 twin I was working on at the time. In 500 feet it was running 3 mph faster on radar

·
Registered
659 Posts
Madcow you say your XLT only went eighty ?? geez dont you think thats a little slow being my mainly stock 597cc monoblock with no pipes(it is bored and ported AND still reliable got over four thousand on the rebuild) was clocked at 102 mph with radar on the clearwater lake radar runs and in my opinion it still had plenty to go so yeah I dont know I had my sled rebuilt and set up by Bill Bune Enterprises if that makes a differance.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
80 in a fresh foot of snow. on hardpack it wasnt hard to see 110 on the speedo back then

1 - 20 of 29 Posts