Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I saw this on E-bay and my curiosity got the best of me... Thought this might be an interesting (I know, expensive) hop-up for my XLT. Looking to get more information
on these cylinders on who made them and what the hot setups back in the day were for them.

It's a bare casting that needs cleaned up, ported, and sleeved. Current bore is 63mm (2.480"). The guy I got this from had custom sleeves/pistons and a stroker crank to get 990cc's. He made his own heads and reed adapters. I don't plan on going that wild, this will be something I will work at as I have the funds to get things done. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with these in the XLT form (I know there are some cylinder-reed PSI setups out there based off a 650 triple motor) with some suggestions and things to look out for. Thanks!
201032923107747_14252.jpg

201032923921794_14252.jpg

201032923832700_14252.jpg

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
youre gonna be into it for a TON of money.
i too got douped into buying one, and i called and got prices of what it would take to have it running. the crankcase needs to be machined, not only to accept cylinders but to accept the new crank. the xlt crank will not hold up to the abuse that motor will make. you also need custom pipes made to get the proper performance, im sure you can find a set thatll run it thought. also need to have the custom heads done. being a custom application its all custom machine work and needs to be pretty presice. i ended up selling mine back on ebay to recover some of the funds.
what did it cost ya if you dont mind me asking?
oh and psi made them as did slp, not sure whos yours might be. i talked to psi and got m info from them on the motor, was gonna be in the thousands range to have it running, you dont just slap it on a xlt bottom end and go.
hhhmmmmm wonder if the guy that bought mine realized it wasnt worth it and he resold it to you and now its your paper weight. do you remeber where it came from? could it have been jounstown pa?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, johnstown, PA guy said he bought two blocks, made one into the 990 and sold this one to me. Only paid about $125 with shipping. No markings on block.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
yup thatd be the one. the guy i bought it from had paperwork on them from psi, thats where i started. when they started talking bout how much id be into it i got discouraged. so i resold it. sounds like its steadily depreciating. i bought it for 150 plus shipping, sold it for 125 plus shipping sounds like you musta got it for about 100.
after i sold it i found a complete motor in pieces at a swapmeet i picked up. and kicked myself for selling the top end. if you find its gonna be too much of a project, ill give ya what ya got into it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll keep your offer in mind. I'm still kicking this around and deciding if I will continue or not...

What modifications to crankcases is involved? I assume piston clearances and cooling/transfer passage matching are required? I would use a later '97-on up case and crank with the wider bearing on the pto (welded of course) and 4-line oil pump to start with, but are you talking gusseting, etc type modifications to cases?

Do you still have the swapmeet motor and know what bore/stroke it is and know what brand (polaris, doo,etc?) pistons it might use?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
not sure on bore and stroke yet, the reason it was apart was the crank was damaged. if i get a chance ill dig it up and look it over, but right now the weather has been awesome the last 2 days and just getting a ton of spring chores done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts