Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing carbs on 97 6ooxlt noticed coolant leaking from behind recoil. Removed recoil, pulled w/pump.On advice from a "P" mechanic,replaced o-ring between head and w/p. Pressure tested.still leaking., pulled pump, took apart,observed o'ring,looked good,silicone and replaced.Still leaks,but ya cant see where! (any ideas appreciated}
Ive heard the triples can be very finicky to start.This one is no exception any tricks here also appreciated!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Dry everything off and dust it with a coat of baby powder. Fill'er up and see where it's coming from. Easier to tell using this method.
Turn the gas off after riding EVERY time. Bad needle and seats will cause your hard starting problem and VERY common on the XLT's.
D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
starting is most likely needle and seats. are you sure the coolant anit leakin from somewhere else and trickling down, so it looks like frombehind the recoil?

·
Registered
179 Posts
My pump has been seeping for two years. I went to the dealer and if I remember correctly, it was 250 bucks. I just keep a careful watch on my resevoir.

Did you disassemble the pump itself? If so that may be something I'll look into[}:)]............

·
Registered
80 Posts
mine has been doing that too.. it almost looks like its comming out of a little hole on the water pump... but it looks like its comming out of the bottom of the gasket too.. but it could be jsut running down? does anyone now what that little hole does?.. or w.e but i jsut keep a close watch on the resivior

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. No its not from weep hole.Yes I did disassemble pump.,there is no gasket.,the two piece pump uses a odd o-ring to seal.I did not have one,thats were I applied silicone. This is were the "drip" hangs.,screw that holds pump together. Antifreeze is cheap!! good idea! C/M

P.s. weep-hole is drilled in case.were a.freeze should not be.,between seal and pully!Leak here tells you seals bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts