Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be starting to rebuild my XLT motor in a week or two. I was planning on changing all gaskets, seals, rings, and bearings on the jack and drive shafts. My question is this:

How important is it to replace the pistons (wrist pin, cir clips and needle bearings if the piston is replaced). I obviously realize that if there is any visual damage there's no question about replacing them. But if the pistons and the cylinder walls look ok, would I be all right in only replacing the rings and honing the cylinders? The engines got about 6000 miles on it right now. Looking for any and all suggestions or opinions. Thanks.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
243 Posts
Personally, I would not think about using the old bearings etc. For the work of accessing the engine inards and the miles that you have on the engine...replace them.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
When i rebuilt my '96 mono-block, i just did pistons/rings. I reused all bearings except the outer crank bearings because they were accessible. It had about 3500 miles though, so it's up to you. Feel for excess play between surfaces. If you plan on keeping it for along time, then replace them i suppose.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i don't know anything about the mechanical part... just two cents...

If your going to do it, do it right the first time...

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well heres the story as i see it man....If your digging into the engine that far at the very least i would replace the pistons and needle cage bearings....usually the piston comes with the wrist pin, circlips, and rings, so all that you need to buy otherwise is the needle cage bearings. Though be sure to check and make sure the pistons come with all of this, otherwise you may end up buying them seperate.

here is my idea of a rebuild on a sled engine:

replace all gaskets and seals
replace piston, rings, wrist pin and needle cage bearings
check crank for signs of damage, rough bearings, cracks etc.
check crankcase for signs of stress, cracks, etc.
check cylinders for severe scoring or other damage
clean all mating surfaces of old gasket and spray with a carb or brake
cleaner to remove all traces of oil and grease
apply extra lube to everything and put back together
torque all bolts to factory specs.....yeah those specs are there for a reason

******important.....run a 50:1 mix of gasoline and oil for the first tankfull along with the oil injection to help aide in the break in process***** only exception to this is if you are rebuilding an efi sled.*********

Well thats the way i do it and i havent had any problems with the engines i have rebuilt....well thats it in a nut shell...i could go into much further detail but i will spare those of you who already know the steps, if you want to know more feel free to send me a PM......so once again this is only my opinion.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Personally, unless I had to rebuild the intire motor I believe the short version Tfin was going with works for me. That is assuming there was nothing wrong with it before or encountered during inspection. I would, however, next time do the full tear down as ToU outlined. If price wasn't an object, I'd go with ToU outline for sure!

Good luck Tfin!

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[Sigh]......yeah, that's pretty much what I had figured. I'm planning on going all the way down to the crank anyways, because I want to replace those oil seals, and maybe drill out the oil hole that supplies the pto side bearing a little. Like I said, the sleds got 6000 on it.

The piston kits (piston, cir clip, rings, and wrist pin) for my sled are some where around $40-$50 each. So I guess I'm looking at spending an additional $120-$150 to change out the pistons (triple cylinder). This "extra" money was originally going to go into my clutch kit. But I certainly want to make sure the engine stays running smooth and solid before I start looking into the fun stuff.

Anyways, thanks for all the info and comments!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Tifn70 if you can get by for $150.00 you will be very lucky. From what I have seen about rebuilding a Polaris tripple it will cost between $300.00 and $400.00. And that is without going through the crank. I just got done reringing my mod Ultra and that was with out pistons and it cost me just about $300.00. That was all Polaris parts. You may be able to get after market pistons cheaper then Polaris pistons. If you have to do any crank work it will cost you a lot more.

good day

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh it's definately aftermarket all the way for me.
I never buy anything from the dealer, unless it can't be found any where else. I've priced everything I'll need for the rebuild, and I'm looking at some where around $275 (three piston kits, full engine gasket kit w/oil seals, jack shaft and drive shaft bearings on clutch side...I have the ones for the chain case side, and three needle cage bearings).

Once I purchase everything, I'll give all a total on what I paid.....if anyone's interested.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sure, let us know how you make out. I am amazed that you can do this rebuild on your own. I am pretty handy with most of this stuff but am a little hesitant when it comes to rebuilding motors.

·
Registered
948 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by XLT SP Yeah!:
Sure, let us know how you make out. I am amazed that you can do this rebuild on your own. I am pretty handy with most of this stuff but am a little hesitant when it comes to rebuilding motors.

[/quote]

It's the best part!!!

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts