Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the pto side piston is not doing anything to help the engine run right now. i can take the plug cap off the sparkplug and the revs dont change at all. i fired it up with the sparkplug in the boot, sitting on the head and i still have a good blue spark. i tried switching the middle and pto side plug boots and still the pto side does nothing. i even tried switching the middle and pto side carbs, but when i pull the boot off the pto side plug, the revs stay the same! to me this sounds like something is wrong with either the pto crankshaft seal or its just time to rebuild a tired engine. im going to pick up some ether or starting fluid to spray around that seal to see if it does anything. the carb boots are weather checked, but they are not through. the compression is about 110-115 on each cylinder, but the middle and stator side still work. any ideas on what the problem could be, or what i chould check next?

·
Registered
632 Posts
when you pull the plugs, is the PTO one wet or dry? this will tell you if its getting fuel.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i switched the carbs over, i kept the fuel lines on the carbs, and it would still only run on the middle and stator side cylinders. i checked by pulling the plug boots off. when i pulled it off the middle plug, the revs started to drop, and the same happened with the stator side. this is after i switched the carbs while the fuel lines were still attached to the original carbs. i even pulled it over with the fuel line off the pto carb and fuel was coming out of the line. im pretty sure its getting fuel.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
One quick thing to try, pull the crankcase drain on that side and see if any fuel comes out. If there's a bunch of fuel in the crankcase, the mixture will be very rich and it will not run on that cylinder(instantly fouling out the plug). As asked before, how does that plug look, wet or dry??[/color=red] That's a pretty valuable piece of info..
If that side has fuel in it, it could be the needle leaking. When you swapped carbs it might not have been on the middle cylinder long enough to flood it out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i started it up this morning and its running great right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts