1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 95 xlt sp 600. it has 5k on it, everything is stock. I just
bought it used. I think the thing is too slow and I have been trying
to troubleshoot it, but thought I would ask for some opinions.
I can get about 8k on the rpm's but I cant get over 65-75 mph. I could probably hit a bit higher mph, but I have not gone on a lake yet...I think it would take a while to get there. the sled is winding out and it sounds ok...I just cant push it any faster.
I have adjusted the secondary clutch so the belt is about 1/8 too a
1/4 inch above the top of the wheel...that seemed to make a difference
out of the hole, but i seem to still be losing on top end. I am waiting to get a compression tester to check the compression...I threw new plugs in...I was going to change the fuel filter...maybe its not getting enough gas.
I put the sled on a stand so the track was free wheeling and I can run
it up over 100mph like that...if that means anything.
the sled does seem to lug just a hair from a stop...I think it should
respond a bit quicker.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Rod

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thats not right, it should do atleast 90mph.
Try a compression test on all cylinders, maybe your carbs are gummed up, maybe the clutches need a good cleaning. Hell, maybe your geared way too low. How long does it take to get to top speed? Do you got alot of bottom end?

·
Registered
129 Posts
yure belt is way too high on secondary....1/16 is spec....sounds to me like yure secondary needs rebuilding..at least check it out.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I've had my 97 XLT SP up to 105 mph (according to speedo). You should easily be getting more than 65-75 mph out of it!

Do that compression test and see what it gives you. Then we can go from there. What does the color of the plugs look like after you've ridden it?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sounds like how mine was running. If everything else checks out check the crank indexing. To to that on a Polaris triple if one piston is at TDC the other 2 pistons should be sitting at the same exact height. Use a piece of metal or stiff wire down the plug hole as a ruler. Hope that's not it for your sake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well,
thanks for the responses to this topic.

I checked the compression tonight

90-95 on the cylinder next to the cluch
105-110 on the other 2
does anyone think this could be the problem. I did take of the secondary clutch and took out the helix and spring. I cleaned everything up and put it all back together. It was pretty gummed up.
what are the different holes for in the helix? the spring was in hole number 2 which I think is the standard one.
Anyway, that is where it is at now.
saaben

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had a 94 xlt sp with 5500 miles on it 120 all cylinders. Under 100 is low, Does it hold the psi or does the gauge drop after a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Sounds like a rebuild might be in order due to the pto cylinder pressure being low. New gaskets and crank seals and she'll be good as new.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That spring in the secondary is to control your RPMS really,,,,,,if you feel your RPM's reving up a little high but the machine isn't going any faster ,, then take the spring out and move it down (backwards towards the seat of the machine) and try it again ,,,
Try it a couple times until you find the right RPM's
I had the SAME problem , my spring was way in the front ,, and my RPM's would stop at 7200 ,, moved it back 3 holes , and now i'm in the 8400range wich is were you should be

·
Registered
312 Posts
by a ski-doo ,, what are you kidding me ,,, so he can get passed on the trails by a cat , and then have to sell it again , save the hasle ,, go get a cat, heheh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts