Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up with my sled? I hear all these guys with newer xc 500 on here saying that they got theirs up to 90 and is that true or are they makin it up and they say theirs is stock, i have got my 1994 xlt rmk out on a long a55 straight in good conditions and held it to the bars for a long time and it just quit gaining speed at 85, is this sled of mine just a slow model? or are these new sleds a lot faster?By the way my sled is a 580cc sled, it is stock with a newer oem pipe, i think it was just rebuilt before i bought it, (700 miles ago), it now has 6100 miles on it, what is wrong?

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Nothing is wrong, the newer machines just go faster. They have more HP for their engine size.

My 440 goes 100 mph on the speedo, my neighbor's '94 XLT goes 90, on a good day on the speedo. I guess as time goes on, they are just getting more power.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I dunno my xlt is fast. My speedo is 5 miles an hour behind what the actual speed is. not very often when they are behind. When i was speed runnin, mine only said 95 but i got 100 acording to the radar. . and i ve had it to 107 on the speedo so i say mine goes around 110. but mine is also piped, cluthced, shaved heads, and studs, wich make a difference.

Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Your RMK should be slower (top speed) because it is geared lower from the factory. The gear reduction allows for more torque to be put on your larger, heavier track. Even if it was geared the same as a regular XLT short track, it would still be slower on top speed because of all the extra rotating mass. The advantage is that you have alot more acceleration, especially in the deep stuff. That is why the SKS models where designed to be at a happy medium: good both on the trails as well as deep snow.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
MegaMan has got it...."XLT RMK" tells the entire story behind this one. My triumph will hit 100 easily on the lake and i have the xlt 600 motor.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok if my sled does not have reeds, and i dont have enough for triple pipes what can i do, i need more top end, i would love to have the big bore kit but not for 1500 bux.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I would not do any engine modifications to that engine accept maybe add pipes and do some cluthing. Also, you can play around with the carbs a bit. That is just how those machines are, slower, but they have more torque going to the track. If you geared it up, you wouldn't have enough power to go as good in the deep snow, so then you would need to find more power by adding pipes and all. Then if you add pipes you have to mess with the carbs to get the thing running good. then after that is all done and said, I wouldn't doubt that you would have to change some clutching things around. see wha I mean?

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
You could do some clutch work, but what you gain on top end you will lose on the low end.

I think its Snowing!!
1999 Polaris XCR 440

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
mega man has it right if all else was the same the track is taking gobs of power.
to clutch for more top end keep all else the same and take the wieghts out of the drive clutch. lay them on the table and look were they are heaviest. probably close to the bushing and taper down to the toe. go to your dealer and get a set of wieghts the same wieght or one half gram lighter but with a little more mass at the tip, or less difference than the stock. the reason i say maybe .5 gram lighter is with more tip mass it will pull harder than the same wieght built like you stock ones. you shouldnt lose much low end but will pull harder on the top end. your rpms should run the same. play around before you make any changes and watch the rs then after you make a change check the rpms again. you might notice that when you punch it with "lake wieghts" it might take a split second longer to fully rev. but you should notice that it is pulling harder as it is climbing in the rev.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
hmm, im happy with my xlt, goes like hell off the line, and ive had it to 90+, but ran out of room to see how much farther i could put her. but your xlt rmk pretty much explains as to why not the same top end, youve got 151 inch track( im guessing) compared to your xlt sp's and limiteds with 121 inches to propell, the longer thr track, the more top end that is robbed from you due to friction loss, and as stated earlier, your clutching and gearing is way different to give you more junk to get you through the deep stuff

·
Registered
948 Posts
I doubt he has a 151" track on there. Stock rmk/sks in 94 would have been the 133.5" unless he's done a hella mod. Both my xlt sks do 90mph top end on pack surface. I only get about 80 in 6" powder. I run 15"X136"X2" tracks though and they're piped. Much as I'd like them to go faster I would sacrifice the bottom end power for top end speed as I'm a mountain rider.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts